Cracked headstock help

plunker

Reaction score
I know this is hard to do with just pictures, any input would be helpful. I can't take it back so please don't suggest that. It is a Luna Oasis, wife bought for $62.00 "as is
" on ebay.

Attachments

• crack1.jpg
    crack1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 98
  • crack 2.jpg
    crack 2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 89
  • gc.jpg
    gc.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 86
Didn't want to waste pixels on the picture size I see. ;) Water down white glue about 10% and force it in the crack and clamp.

Didn't want to waste pixels on the picture size I see. ;) Water down white glue about 10% and force it in the crack and clamp.
I am not a proponent of pixel saving, I am tech challenged. Thank you. I was thinking on trying to force the crack open a bit with a clamp and using titebond hode glue. and then reclamping shut to try to get more glue into the crack. Just as good? Or is it a mistake to try to open the crack?

I would be extremely careful trying to open up the crack but it would allow the dilute glue to get in a little farther. I glued a cheap guitar neck that was cracked similar to that by opening it a little more and working glue into it. It is still holding as far as I know.
For reinforcement you could try drilling thru the crack and gluing in a dowel after the initial glue up.

A bit of advice here, never put dowels into a crack like this. All you are doing is taking away the wood around the crack area. A good glue job will do the best. Also, never use screws or nails or metal plates, and on and on.

I would be extremely careful trying to open up the crack but it would allow the dilute glue to get in a little farther. I glued a cheap guitar neck that was cracked similar to that by opening it a little more and working glue into it. It is still holding as far as I know.
For reinforcement you could try drilling thru the crack and gluing in a dowel after the initial glue up.

Thank you. I see what I can do at let you all know what happened. Never played guitar, I hope this one has nice action.

Thank you. I see what I can do at let you all know what happened. Never played guitar, I hope this one has nice action.
Geeetar ?...no wonder the pics were small..I assumed it was a ukulele.

Hot hide glue is the best for this repair. It won't creep or discolor the joint. It's easy to clean up and withstands heat well. It sticks to itself and is reversible. It shrinks as it cures to pull the joint even tighter.

Heat the wood. Force it open as much as you can and brush as much glue as you can into the joint. Flex it back and forth to wick the glue in as far as it will go. Wipe most of the excess. Clamp. Work quickly before the glue gels. If the glue is the proper viscosity it should wick in almost to the end of the crack that you can't even see. The next day you can remove any squeeze out with a warm damp rag. If you do it well it will be hard to find the crack. If you want more info on hot hide glue go to Frank Ford's site.

Top Bottom