Professionals Perform Where

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I just switched from guitar to baritone ukulele a few months ago. So far I am playing mostly chord melody numbers from Mike Lynch books. I would like to go to a coffee shop, hotel lobby, or where ever and listen to others play ukulele. What songs do they play? What style do they play? Finger picking, Chord Melodies, strumming, and so on. Do most play in a group or solo. To date I have never seen anyone performing in person in public. Please fill me in. Thank you,

Where do you live?

I was wondering about the above and also about weddings, house party's, a group having a ukulele player. Does any artist sing and play ukulele and record CD's other than just u-tube? Is the ukulele popular in Europe or the USA? It is a little popular here in Asia. I heard a lady on u-tube singing while playing the ukulele with a group. She seemed to be quite popular in Malaysia. I have been living in Asia now for over twenty years and am retired so I have not much knowledge about the popularity of different instruments and types of music around the world.

Hi Johnny, you mention the idea of a coffee shop, and I think that's a great venue for you to consider. In my town we have a few, but there's one in particular where the owners are so nice, and welcome the occasional Noontime appearance. The place is very small, and they actually have you set up right next to the counter where patrons place their order when they come in. The nice thing is, it's such a light-packin' gig! When I go there, all I take with me is my soprano uke-- no amp or p.a., no microphone, just me and my uke. I sit there on a folding chair and sing and play 15-or-so songs from my growing-up days (60's and 70's) from Noon until 1:00! The patrons seem to enjoy it, as I'm providing a little entertainment but not blasting them out! So, I would suggest you explore the coffee shop option! It's simple and takes a bit of courage to do it in such a "barebones" fashion, but well worth it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom