Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

I've never brought Prince before (for obvious reasons). Warren Zevon and Hindu Love Gods did a gloriously sloppy version of this. And then Detailers gave it the Bakersfield touch. Apologies to the great one from Minneapolis. Grover decided to hang out, too!

I just discovered the Song A Week subreddit. The prompt this week is “Fast”, and I was reading Eve Babitz’ book “Slow Days Fast Company” this week. This is a bunch of her epigrams haphazardly stitched into a song. I want to come back to this one sometime and try to improve it.

For season regulars who have played lots of songs it is quite a challenge to come up with something new.
I chose the Finnish song Ammulla Varhain and I found the words and chords on the Ultimate guitar site
It fell under Misc Traditional and underneath that section are hundreds of obscure songs that more
people will never have heard of so if you are looking for a song and a challenge you might find what you are looking
for there. Go to this site.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/artist/misc_traditional_885

Or I'd bet just about every artist I have covered has never been done by anyone else. Looking at my Youtube list, the following names jump out at me. I've excluded the really obscure ones.

Nightwish
Rammstein
The Cat Empire
The John Butler Trio
Florence and the Machine
Tim Minchin
Missy Higgins
Sarah Blasko
Matisyahu
The Whitlams
Joe Hisaishi
Xavier Rudd
Garbage
The Smashing Pumpkins
Greenday
The Waifs
The Scissor Sisters

Hear Seasonistas perform new songs by singers/writers/musicians they have not performed on the Seasons before. To clarify: a song not covered before by the Seasonista AND by a writer not covered before AND recorded by a performer, band or group not covered by that Seasonista before. Seasonistas who like to bring songs from films and/or theatre will brings songs from films and plays not brought before.

Sorry if someone already asked this question, but: If I've never contributed to the Seasons, then is any song fair game? Thanks...

Hear Seasonistas perform new songs by singers/writers/musicians they have not performed on the Seasons before. To clarify: a song not covered before by the Seasonista AND by a writer not covered before AND recorded by a performer, band or group not covered by that Seasonista before. Seasonistas who like to bring songs from films and/or theatre will brings songs from films and plays not brought before.

Sorry if someone already asked this question, but: If I've never contributed to the Seasons, then is any song fair game? Thanks...

Sorry if I'm stepping on Linda's toes here and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "yep." This season is a great equalizer.

Sorry if I'm stepping on Linda's toes here and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "yep." This season is a great equalizer.

Thanks. Now to find the courage...

Please join us. :) The first time can seem a little scary, but it'll be so much fun once you begin. Please ask questions if you need help.

And thanks, Robin! :)

Needed time a spiritual by Lightning Hopkins. But used by both Taj Mahal and Eric Bibb
Many of the old spirituals are rooted in slavery and the need for redemption. There is always
the hope that the captives will be set free. I suppose that is why the story of the Israelites
in bondage in Egypt resonated so much with the slaves in the deep south. Freedom from slavery.
Eric Bibb and Michael Jerome Browne do a real tasty version. The song was from the opening
credits of the movie Sounder

Last edited:
This is one I have played a bit at home here, without committing it to the seasons. I did an "Old Time Religion" song a few weeks back, but this is a completely different beast. I have been quite taken with the themes in a few of Parker Millsap's songs

Last edited:
Looks like I am on a bit of a new artist roll. I think someone else did this during that wonderful 80s Synth Pop season we had a while back. But I have never tried the Pet Shop Boys myself, so here goes.

Very cool theme, Linda! I suppose I will contribute a song ( I recently discovered a fine alternative Country band) for your season and another for Lynda's ( I already picked a song). btw I'm logged in with my new account..I simply forgot my password:)
Heino

Very cool theme, Linda! I suppose I will contribute a song ( I recently discovered a fine alternative Country band) for your season and another for Lynda's ( I already picked a song). btw I'm logged in with my new account..I simply forgot my password:)
Heino

Great, Heino! Wonderful! :)

Thanks for hosting this one Linda x I thought this was gonna be a quickie but I soon realised the arrangement visits every fret up til the 13th. I don't like musicals so I know I definately haven't covered this choon from 'Oklahoma'. A bit rough and ready with the dog chomping and nudging me tucked behind my legs but hey I'll never be ready for Madison Square Gardens :)

Last edited:
It's no secret that I deeply love traditional country music, and "The Bakersfield sound" may well be my all time favorite style of it. In that vein, it came to me that I've never done a Wynn Stewart song, and I needed to correct that badly. Stewart was a huge influence on the Bakersfield sound, and was considered a "singers singer". The other singers pretty much all thought he was the best. He had some hits, but was never a superstar. He was a different cat, had personal problems, and died fairly young, but man could he sing a country song. Buck Owens did the most famous version of this song, and Rodney Crowell took this one to #1 in the country charts in the late 80's, but I think Wynn Stewart's version was the best one. BTW, Merle Haggard played bass in Stewart's band in Vegas in the early 60's, and Wynn Stewart gave Haggard the tune "Sing a sad song", which was Merle Haggard's debut single.

Wow! I just scrolled through the titles of the submissions and found tons of discoveries to listen to this season. When I read the instructions for this season, I saw ROXY MUSIC right at the top of the list of suggestions, so I knew then and there I would be taking a crack at this tune by Bryan Ferry. I got turned on to it by an album called "The Jazz Age" by the Bryan Ferry Orchestra. A wonderful discovery, indeed! (I, too, have been sick, so pardon the bed-head.)

Please join us. :) The first time can seem a little scary, but it'll be so much fun once you begin. Please ask questions if you need help.

And thanks, Robin! :)

Okay. Here goes. I've posted videos of a few instrumentals on UU. Here's my first with singing. Hope I'm doing it right. Thanks.

Day 4 of our Discovery Channel is upon us! And we have a new participant: good_uke_boy! Welcome and thank you for joining us!

This morning I have another discovery to share with you. So far, I shared links to music by Willie Watson, the Unthanks, and Smoky Dawson - all performers I discovered thanks to listening to our Seasonistas (Jon, Elena and Pa). This morning I go to my favorite discovery. Very early on in my Seasons journey, Lynda (BEVOMU) covered this song and I fell in love with it from the moment it began. (I still don't know how Lynda sang all the parts in each line without losing her breath. Amazing vocal!) Anyway, here is my favorite Seasons discovery ever, thanks to
BEV's cover.) ALERT: heavy duty 70s vibe on the way!

"Mirrors in the Sun" by Sally Oldfield:

Top Bottom