Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

turtledrum

Reaction score
Season 321: The Discovery Channel

Welcome to Season 321! (No opening vid … but there will be a closing vid)

Ok – 321 on your radio dial!!! Premiering on Sunday, April 8th – The Discovery Channel! Hear Seasonistas perform new songs by singers/writers/musicians they have not performed on the Seasons before. To clarify: a song not covered before by the Seasonista AND by a writer not covered before AND recorded by a performer, band or group not covered by that Seasonista before. Seasonistas who like to bring songs from films and/or theatre will brings songs from films and plays not brought before.

It’s an invitation to hear Seasonistas bring what they haven’t brought before.

Below I’ve listed amazing artists that I hadn’t heard before my involvement in the Seasons. A Seasonista may want to visit one or more of these. Again – it will be a discovery. Song, singer, writer, musician – not covered by that Seasonsista before on the Seasons. (And once a new person is covered this Season, that Seasonista will bring someone new for subsequent posts this week.)

Here’s an invitation to discover some of my discoveries:

Raimond Valgre Jamie Cullum Seth Lakeman Roxy Music

Martha’s Harbour Paul Kelly The Decemberists T - Rex

Joan Armatrading Villagers Okee Dokee Bros. Deep Purple

Blue Oyster Cult Nick Drake The Secret Sisters Greg Brown

The Unthanks Kate Rusby Crowded House JJ Cale

Eurovision folks Lucinda Williams The Yellow Balloon Slade

Smoky Dawson Willie Watson Townes Van Zandt Red Molly

Rag’n’Bone Man David Sylvian Laura Marling Gillian Welch

Abigail Washburn Mandolin Orange Eliza Gilkyson John Gorka

Rhiannon Giddens Cathie Ryan The Fureys Nico

Originals – Yes! Tune into 321 and you can hear Seasonistas perform original songs on the theme of discovery!

Seasonistas may contribute one post per person per day and no more than five in the week to give everyone time to both perform and listen. Both opportunities for discovery!

ALERT: WEEKEND SPECIAL! Any Seasonista who has posted the maximum five songs, may submit an additional post each day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday! Still only one post may be put on the thread on any day by any individual. Sorry about the limits this week; I've been under the gun here with time constraints/commitments.

Usual Hawaiian start and end times for this week’s program. Comments will be placed on the Tube. Prize? Sure!

Special thanks from this week’s sponsor! Linda ☺

And please remember: Randy’s Season 320 “ain’t over” until midnight Sunday (Hawaiian time). This announcement is being made rather early to give friends on the other side of the pond a chance to set their radio dials.

PLAYLIST:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGoYd7qUIo5b7kMnCXmv4XxY3vx2ZF9Lu

Last edited:
I discover new stuff every week because of you fine folks. Thats what makes the seasons so good.

I admit I did read this twice before I got it. Linda brings someone Linda has never brought before, but it can be something that Linda, Lynda or not Linda has :)

Season 321: The Discovery Channel

Welcome to Season 321! (No opening vid … but there will be a closing vid)

Ok – 321 on your radio dial!!! Premiering on Sunday, April 8th – The Discovery Channel! Hear Seasonistas perform new songs by singers/writers/musicians they have not performed on the Seasons before. To clarify: a song not covered before by the Seasonista AND by a writer not covered before AND recorded by a performer, band or group not covered by that Seasonista before. Seasonistas who like to bring songs from films and/or theatre will brings songs from films and plays not brought before.

It’s an invitation to hear Seasonistas bring what they haven’t brought before.

Below I’ve listed amazing artists that I hadn’t heard before my involvement in the Seasons. A Seasonista may want to visit one or more of these. Again – it will be a discovery. Song, singer, writer, musician – not covered by that Seasonsista before on the Seasons. (And once a new person is covered this Season, that Seasonista will bring someone new for subsequent posts this week.)

Here’s an invitation to discover some of my discoveries:

Raimond Valgre Jamie Cullum Seth Lakeman Roxy Music

Martha’s Harbour Paul Kelly The Decemberists T - Rex

Joan Armatrading Villagers Okee Dokee Bros. Deep Purple

Blue Oyster Cult Nick Drake The Secret Sisters Greg Brown

The Unthanks Kate Rusby Crowded House JJ Cale

Eurovision folks Lucinda Williams The Yellow Balloon Slade

Smoky Dawson Willie Watson Townes Van Zandt Red Molly

Rag’n’Bone Man David Sylvian Laura Marling Gillian Welch

Abigail Washburn Mandolin Orange Eliza Gilkyson John Gorka

Rhiannon Giddens Cathie Ryan The Fureys Nico

Originals – Yes! Tune into 321 and you can hear Seasonistas perform original songs on the theme of discovery!

Seasonistas may contribute one post per person per day and no more than five in the week to give everyone time to both perform and listen. Both opportunities for discovery!

Usual Hawaiian start and end times for this week’s program. Comments will be placed on the Tube. Prizes? Sure!

Special thanks from this week’s sponsor! Linda ☺

And please remember: Randy’s Season 320 “ain’t over” until midnight Sunday (Hawaiian time). This announcement is being made rather early to give friends on the other side of the pond a chance to set their radio dials.

PLAYLIST:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGoYd7qUIo5b7kMnCXmv4XxY3vx2ZF9Lu

Yes! My treasure trove of obscure alternative and prog bands should serve me well this week!

Great theme! That said, I have no idea what I'm gonna do! But I will!

I discover new stuff every week because of you fine folks. Thats what makes the seasons so good.

I admit I did read this twice before I got it. Linda brings someone Linda has never brought before, but it can be something that Linda, Lynda or not Linda has :)

After reading it the first time, I went right to the responses assuming I might confirm my understanding and sure enough the first reply confirmed it.

Great theme Linda! And a bit of a challenge as well. It's usually good to go outside of our comfort zones and discover new things!

I heard of Red Molly for the first time last weekend. I was up in Barre, Vermont (Frisbee Fred country), and they were playing there. It was apparently the biggest thing to hit town in years. The hotel owner asked if we'd come to town for the concert. The sound clips I've listened to don't give me any urge to get their albums, but I can't hate on any band that gets its name from a Richard Thompson song. I played "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" for my daughter Molly while we were driving, so she'd know the reference.

Gah! I'm going to have to do a lot of digging through my 'back-catalogue.' I've posted over 400 videos to the Seasons. :uhoh: :D

Hahahahahaha- 1000 videos...time to dig. This will be fun!

You, Paul, Pa, Rex, Randy, Lynda ... don’t envy y’all :bowdown:

lol! yeah, when i was first starting on the seasons, i used to marvel at people who said "dunno if i've done this before" - how could they not know??? then, of course, i did a frankly ridiculous amount of videos myself, and now i frequently haven't got the foggiest what songs and bands i've done before! luckily, youtube will search through my many gazillions of vid titles and look for song titles and bands i need to check!

GREAT theme, very interesting and challenging!

gonna go put my thinking cap on!

LOL,
(okay, I have to make it ten characters)

Wait. If I can't do a song by an artist I've done a song from before in the Seasons then I couldn't do an original if I've done an original in the seasons before. Right?

Wow. Thank you Linda. Already made some wonderful discoveries.

I'm With Her - npr Tiny Desk concert is sublime
Shovels and Rope
Willie Watson - Gallows Pole beautiful dire song
John Moreland - BRILL
Ben Caplan - powerful voice and songs
Sean Rowe
Mighty Sam McClain - fine blues - When the Hurt is Over - hmmm!
and still looking
of course found stuff that didn't grab me - but that's the thing about discovery - a lot of digging but not much gold - title for a song?

Might actually be able to get some musicking done this week. Gonna be a fun theme, too. :) my usual repertoire tends to be full of popular or well known songs, so it'll be fun to try to pull a more obscure tune or two out for this. X3 especially considering I've done a good couple of my more lesser known standards. :p but I think I have some ideas.

Plus, this is a great, fitting theme to debut the newest member of my uke collec... er... family. X3

Fantastic theme Linda, and sadly one I’ll struggle to get anything in for this week :(.....had my eye on the awesome Mandolin Orange too having seen them here in Sheffield a couple of months ago. Oh well.....

Season 321. "Vincent" (Written and recorded by Don McLean, 1971)

I've always loved Don McLean's writings, but hadn't covered one of his songs until now.

Fantastic theme Linda, and sadly one I’ll struggle to get anything in for this week :(.....had my eye on the awesome Mandolin Orange too having seen them here in Sheffield a couple of months ago. Oh well.....

John, I hope your week goes well and should you get to squeak one here, that'd be great! Yep - I LOVE Mandolin Orange. Seeing them must have been great!

Top Bottom