Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

Noodling in the background is my awkward attempt to fill in the spaces between the phrases, but this song really needs a steel guitar. I started trying to write this last week.

It ain't ever enough to say I love you
It ain't ever enough to do what I can do
It ain't ever enough to say that I care
Or to listen to you when you're feeling blue and have troubles to bear

You know sometimes that I still miss you
When I spend too much time all by myself
I hear you watching TV, I hear the sound of your laughter
But being alone is something I've known, and I've known too well

Even when I'm not there I'm thinking of you
When the look in my eyes, like a thousand-yard stare means I'm far away
But the look in my eyes doesn't mean I forgot you
I'm just searching my mind, trying to find the right words to say

tag
It ain't ever enough just to say I love you
When I'm not always there

Last edited:
Ugh...this song requires one of those long old school lead-ins, so I guess we are stuck with that. I try not to be that guy anymore...but alas.
<TCK>The original here is a hip-hop song by a fellow named “Prof.” At first glance, it is apparent he is not professor of gender studies, and apparently I will have to dig a while to figure out what his advanced degree is on because this is a mess right here. It is shamelessly misogynistic to the point where it is pretty disgusting, but I find that so often this is the complexion of hip-hop. That is not to say that there are not brilliant hip hop songs out there that are totally positive and respectful...it is just to say you best like wading through some real muck to find them. This song actually makes me a little ill to play...but I HAD to play it.
You see, about a year ago, I found a video online of a group of homeless kids called the “Rail Yard Ghosts” playing it for a documentary, and I was blown away. The entire film is about homeless musicians (I have a soft spot for this music) and this one is the prize here. Here is the video- and the aesthetic here is to me, about as perfect as music can be. Needless to say I fell in love with it long before I listened to the lyrics.
In any event...I have resisted doing this song. Like a nagging pain in my shoulder, it comes back time and again because I think I pull it off okay. So I will shrug off my shame, introduce you to a bunch of homeless kids who make great music and bad decisions, and play the song. <\TCK>. Thanks for the reason.

This one is NSFW.

I've not covered this song before, or Phil Phillips! I'm playing my bari and my Flea, and there's a bit of piano in there too!

Sorry for the long hiatus guys. I've been ridiculously busy for a while now and when I have had time off, I've been feeling really under the weather. None of that has changed really, but this week has given me an opportunity to bring a whole bunch of songs that I have been meaning to do for ages but never got around to doing. I may not get any more done this week, but at least I will have this one. I think I've planned to do it about 5 times now. The first time was going to be a multitracked extravaganza with a solo and a key change at the end. In the end I ditched the solo and the key change and just did what I could in 5 minutes, so here it is. Neptune even seems to think it's okay.

For anyone that's interested, Nightwish is a semi-operatic (at times) Scandinavian metal band. At some point I would also love to do their song "Islander," but that one will take a bit of work.

For season regulars who have played lots of songs it is quite a challenge to come up with something new.
I chose the Finnish song Ammulla Varhain and I found the words and chords on the Ultimate guitar site
It fell under Misc Traditional and underneath that section are hundreds of obscure songs that more
people will never have heard of so if you are looking for a song and a challenge you might find what you are looking
for there. Go to this site.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/artist/misc_traditional_885

I haven't covered Lorde before and this song from last year speaks to me. That's a Kiwi uke for a Kiwi artist. :D

I have definitely 100% never played a Men at Work song before. But here is the only other song I know by them. The original is a bit too upbeat for the content of the lyrics but their lead singer Colin Hay has a brilliantly minimalist acoustic arrangement that is where I first heard the song and fell in love with. Sums up my mental state pretty well too.

Alabama jubilee (Korala Plastic Ukulele)

Now this was a real discovery for me... many years ago I went to
a pub in Helsinki and a recorded some Ukulele players playing
what I thought was "Hail Hail the gang's all here" and yesterday
I discovered chords for the Alabama Jubilee

This is another one that I had to check that I hadn't done before. It has been a regular song at the weekly uke session I go to, but has never been done here. Nor have I done The Carpenters before. They have a special place in my heart. Growing up, we had very few records in the house that could be classed as anything like pop. "Johnny Cash at San Quentin", an early Beatles EP, a couple of Seekers albums. And then along came "The Carpenters - Singles". I listened to it quite a bit, before I realised that I was old enough to buy my own records.

Originally a Jazz song circa 1931 but revived as a pop hit by the Mamas and the Papas 1968

Good Day 3 of Season 321 on your Seasonista dial!

I feel like a kid in a candy store listening to the wonderful songs brought thus far this Season. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Here's the listen I offer today for your consideration. Thanks to Elena (Car Singer) I've discovered the Unthanks. Here's a beautiful listen courtesy of the BBC:

Here's one by Bob Gallion, who was a traditional country artist from the 50's into the 80's. He cracked the top 10 a few times, and this one went top 20 for him in 1959. He later was a regular on the Wheeling Jamboree for many years, and owned a talent booking agency, and was a disk jockey. I wore his "Out of a Honky Tonk" CD out when I was driving back in the day, so here's a hardcore honky tonk tune from Mr. Gallion!

For season regulars who have played lots of songs it is quite a challenge to come up with something new.
I chose the Finnish song Ammulla Varhain and I found the words and chords on the Ultimate guitar site
It fell under Misc Traditional and underneath that section are hundreds of obscure songs that more
people will never have heard of so if you are looking for a song and a challenge you might find what you are looking
for there. Go to this site.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/artist/misc_traditional_885

Thank you for this, Rob. :)

Greetings,

This should be kinda new for most. The band is called Jack's Mannequin and the song is Swim. I added a second soprano track as it fit the tune. One of my favorite alternate songs, lyrics are beautiful. The opening picture is a selfie I took that looks watery.

Last edited:
Hello!!!

sometimes life allows you to go back to places where you're really at home. This is my place, with all of you. Thanks Lynda for hosting.

Here, a pretty song from one of the most important songwritter from Republica Dominicana: Juan Luís Guerra.

I hope you enjoy it.

A huge from Barcelona

Sara

Last edited:
Wow - I am wowed by what I've been hearing today. Wow - and wowed.

Speaking of wowed, give a listen to this gem if you can. Smoky Dawson singing "Homestead of My Dreams"

(This song appeared on the Seasons awhile back, covered by Pabrizzer. That's how I discovered Smoky Dawson.)

Great season theme, loving the entries I've seen so far!

I've been away for a bit helping my mum recuperate from heart surgery - I missed you guys! I now have a few backdated seasons to work my way through :eek:

Just because I've always found this one fun to play... and as with all Motown numbers, even the "sad" ones make me very happy :D

Sparky

Top Bottom