Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

Very cool theme, Linda! I suppose I will contribute a song ( I recently discovered a fine alternative Country band) for your season and another for Lynda's ( I already picked a song). btw I'm logged in with my new account..I simply forgot my password:)
Heino
heino! you've guessed my theme?????????!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: (well, to be honest, even i must concede it's not gonna be even vaguely unexpected! :uhoh:)

good-uke-boy! that is one of my fave ever songs! gorgeous cover! and very lovely uke! WELCOME TO THE SEASONS!

i had a look through my cd collection, for bands and artists i have inexplicably failed to bring on uke before, and found "white ladder" by david gray - so here is one of the very many lovely songs off that album

"please forgive me"

Season 321. Submission 2. "Starlight On The Rails" (Written and recorded by Utah Phillips, 1973)

I've always loved this one, but stayed away because of the gender thing with pronouns. I just changed those up a bit here and gave it a go.
Bout time. This one's on a reso.

mirrors in the sun! i LOVE that song SO MUCH! reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally takes me back!

Have to say that "Mirrors in The Sun" is one of the few songs I learned for the Seasons that I return to over and over again to play and sing when I'm noodling. Just smitten to my mittens by it. Have always meant to have a better listen at Sally's other songs, but haven't gotten to that yet. :)

Ahoy
This has been a brilliant season and I have made a bunch of discoveries.
Although I am a new member and have much more to choose from than many others I have decided to try and play songs that are 'obscure' for me (as an Icelander that was born in the early 1980's).
This is a song by Lefty Frizzell - a song that I had never heard until I got Johnny Cash's Personal File album a few years ago - I play the song with a much faster tempo.
Enjoy

Okay. Here goes. I've posted videos of a few instrumentals on UU. Here's my first with singing. Hope I'm doing it right. Thanks.

WOW Kevin ! Nice vocal. Your wife has competition. :D
Glen Campbell is back.
This song took me back to memory lane. Bravo.
Like the instrumental you added.

WOW Kevin ! Nice vocal. Your wife has competition. :D
Glen Campbell is back.
This song took me back to memory lane. Bravo.
Like the instrumental you added.

Brenda, thanks for helping us welcome Kevin to the Seasons. :) Have you ever participated? If not, have you ever thought about it? No pressure - just wondering! You're more than welcome to join us here if you like! :)

What a wonderful week. I discovered Greg Brown because of the seasons. As part of my homework fo this week i did a YouTube search for current protest songs and a beauty by Greg Brown came up. When I watched that video a video he sang on with Anaïs Mitchell came up in that side bar part. Had not heard of Anaïs Mitchell nor have I ever covered a song by her. Boy! Do I love this song. Saddly there is so much truth in it that those who support the wall could also like this song....

Brenda, thanks for helping us welcome Kevin to the Seasons. :) Have you ever participated? If not, have you ever thought about it? No pressure - just wondering! You're more than welcome to join us here if you like! :)

Thank you for the invitation. I let my uke do all the singing for me. It’s less painful for my family. :D.
I wish I am gifted with a singing voice like many of you here ! Green with envy !

Thank you for the invitation. I let my uke do all the singing for me. It’s less painful for my family. :D.
I wish I am gifted with a singing voice like many of you here ! Green with envy !

You could always contribute an instrumental :)

So this is the band that I thought of when I listened to the OP. The Rutles! And, I think this is another that hasnt made the seasons yet! Shocking!!

Did CeeJay bring this once??????

This one just about did me in. You have no idea. If I was brave enough to post the outtakes.......................

Instrumentals are welcome, Brenda!!!!!! (Mythinformed has posted a fine one this Season already). Singing is purely optional!!!

When I joined the Season, I intended only to play instrumentals. I hadn't sung anything in front of anyone since I was a kid. Way just led on to way, I guess. :)

Anyway, since you're new to the Seasons, you could post any instrumental you'd like this week. Jes' sayin'. :)

Lizban is--or was, because I don't know what happened to her--a South African singer/songwriter who also plays guitar and keyboards. I guess I would put her music into the power pop/hard rock category. I don't remember how I first heard of her; it was a long time ago. In 2010 she released an album on Bandcamp. She created a Facebook musician/band page for herself which she updated occasionally, and even created an official website as many musicians do. She also created a YouTube channel which still has the few videos she uploaded to publicize herself. Then she disappeared.

The last update to her Facebook page was on March 17, 2014. The last activity on her YT channel was 6 years ago when she "liked" an Evanescence video. Her official website has been long since gone. I haven't been able to google up a trace of her anywhere on the internet, except for those few places I've mentioned. You can still see photos of her on her old FB page and you can see her videos on her YT channel, and you can still listen to the full album on Bandcamp.

This song is more down-tempo than most others on the album; I guess this was her power ballad. The title of the album is Talking To Myself.

Another phenomenal evening of listening for me. Thank you so so much for the great songs you've brought and the way you've made them seem as if they'd been written for you and your ukes. Beautiful stuff.

A listen for tonight. If anyone here hasn't heard Ted Hawkins, well, he's really something special. Here's my favorite by him. I don't think I've ever heard anyone bring him to the Seasons.

<TCK>This popped up in my side bar on YouTube one day...and let me tell you, some of that stuff is zero good, but I saw the capture image...looked at the fellow who was playing and thought to myself "self...go watch that" so I did. Now, I have a lot of music, it is an addiction of sorts, and true to form I am always looking for that next "fix."
This was it. It was as if a train had just rolled through my living room and knocked me (and Annabelle) straight off the couch. I was blown away. Now sure...he sounds like Steve Earl so it is a no brainer, but there is something in the way he WRITES that is super compelling. His songs are sad. Really sad. Sometimes things are sad and I am sucker for that kind of realism. Anyway- Here is his version of the song, one that I think is well worth watching for anyone who ever loved the sound another person could make.

And here is my excuse to show you guys his version if you hadn't seen it already. Thanks for the opportunity to play it.

</TCK>

Or I'd bet just about every artist I have covered has never been done by anyone else. Looking at my Youtube list, the following names jump out at me. I've excluded the really obscure ones.

Nightwish
Rammstein
The Cat Empire
The John Butler Trio
Florence and the Machine
Tim Minchin
Missy Higgins
Sarah Blasko
Matisyahu
The Whitlams
Joe Hisaishi
Xavier Rudd
Garbage
The Smashing Pumpkins
Greenday
The Waifs
The Scissor Sisters

Nightwish! I don't think I could ever possibly translate one of their songs into ukulele.

Instrumentals are welcome, Brenda!!!!!! (Mythinformed has posted a fine one this Season already). Singing is purely optional!!!

When I joined the Season, I intended only to play instrumentals. I hadn't sung anything in front of anyone since I was a kid. Way just led on to way, I guess. :)

Anyway, since you're new to the Seasons, you could post any instrumental you'd like this week. Jes' sayin'. :)

Here is one ! the first time I heard it is from Corey Fujimoto ( he does uke demo for HMS)
This is my version of the same song name “Always With Me”! Hope it meet the requirements here?

Wow! Never hard of this guy. What a great job he did on a Webb Pierce classic. Very difficult song to sing.

Top Bottom