Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

I hope everyone is enjoying the fine songs that have come in so far in our last day of Season 321. I couldn't be happier to see where this theme has taken us.

Just a reminder: we've until 12 a.m. on April 16th (Hawaiian time) for your final submissions. Thank you all! Linda :)

I've one more listen to offer. While she's not a new kid on the block, by any means, Abigail Washburn has flown beneath the radar of many music lovers. She's a personal favorite of mine. Here's one I hoped you might enjoy:

Charlie Walker began his career as a country radio DJ for KENS, 680 AM, in San Antonio in the 1950s. He signed with Decca Records in the mid 50s and had a country music career that last nearly 30 years. His biggest hit was his version of "Pick Me Up On Your Way Down," which hit #2 in 1958. Apparently this song of his did not chart, but I've always liked it because it sounds so much like "Crazy Arms," which I also like. I think that might be Ray Price singing the harmony vocal in the original. This song was later covered by Connie Smith.

I remember hearing him DJ'ing in the late 60s/early 70s when I was a kid. By that time, KENS was the callsign of the TV station only and the radio affiliate had changed its callsign to KKYX, which it still is now. I guess by that time, he was no longer a full time DJ and only returned for guest spots now and then.

I've got my mates service tomorrow and I've never had a crack at this one sooooooooo..................

Like Berni, I thought I wasn't going to get one in this week because my wife had eye surgery last Friday and my elder daughter was visiting during the week with granddaughter and we don't get to see them very often as they live in London, then I had a gig yesterday.

I did find a song to do. Linda mentioned the Unthanks in the OP and while I'm not a huge fan, they are local to the Region so I looked up their discography and found they had recorded a song I first heard on a Kathryn Tickell album. Kathryn Tickell is a Northumbrian Piper and doesn't sing herself but the song itself was sung by Carolyn Robson who is a Northumbrian Folk singer and I was in her group at Folkworks summer school one year. I looked it up on You Tube and I found the Unthanks version and also an instrumental version by Kathryn Tickell. Here she is with her band playing Felton Lonnen on Pipes.

Here is my effort played on Flute, Harmonica, Soprano Recorder and Baritone Ukulele. The photos in the video are taken from Coniston Water in the English Lake District, one of the most beautiful parts of England.

The song is of a Mother wondering where her son has got to at the end of the day and asking her husband to go out and find him as he's always wandering off across the fields of their farm. It's a lovely song but probably better sung by a woman.

A "Lonnen" is a dialect word found in both Northumbrian and Cumbrian dialect and is a lane or track.

A one taker blast of Beatles as my last entry. Thanks for hosting this one Linda x

Well, we'll need to put this one in the books now. Season 321 is officially closed. If anyone has a vid that's late, please post it as soon as you can. The wrap for this Season will be posted on Tuesday. Thank you all for a wonderful week! Linda :)

Greetings,

Thanks for a great week. Just watching the vids now, no time lately :(

Ciao

It felt good to contribute a song for the seasons after quite a long time. Thank you for hosting a wonderful season, Linda!

super week, congrats to christopher. this theme really took me outside my usual places-to-look-for-songs routine, and made me realise i have a whole bunch of cd's and records in my flat, that i've never brought songs from! thanks for the challenge, linda!

Notes to self:
1. Yukio (Christopher) is fantastic!
2. Don't post a video immediately after one of his!
Thanks all, from a first timer...

super week, congrats to christopher. this theme really took me outside my usual places-to-look-for-songs routine, and made me realise i have a whole bunch of cd's and records in my flat, that i've never brought songs from! thanks for the challenge, linda!

Thank you, BEV, for sharing that. I'm so happy that you found yourself happily in search of new songs in unexpected places. I also have you to thank for bringing David Gray's music to me. I hadn't heard of him before listening to your song this Season. My pocketbook is a bit lighter since then, but wow, am I enjoying the CDS I picked up. "White Ladders" - wow.

A wonderful week of discovery. Many thanks Linda. Christopher knocks everything he does out of the ball park, so such a worthy choice there.

Thank you so much, Pa, for really welcoming the challenges this theme brought to those who've been in the Seasons for good while. I thank you for introducing me to the music of Anais Mitchell. What a discovery that was for me! I plan on spending a lot more time listening to her stuff.

Top Bottom