Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

Good morning, Seasonistas, from a Long Island that is taking the really slow path into spring. There's a glimpse of sun here though and that makes all the difference.

I look forward to all the posts today and want to thank Pa for getting us off in fine form with that John Moreland song as our first post of the Season.

Just a reminder: the performer/writer you cover may be well-known, but just not covered by you previously on the Seasons. Please don't feel that the choice you make must be someone who is not "well-known."

This morning I'd like to offer a glimpse into John Gorka's music for those who may be unfamiliar with his writing and performing. Here's his "Ignorance and Privilege":

Wait. If I can't do a song by an artist I've done a song from before in the Seasons then I couldn't do an original if I've done an original in the seasons before. Right?

LOL!!!! Noooooooo ...... bring those originals!!!! :)

Geoff's season a few weeks ago marked my 4th anniversary with the Seasons, albeit with a brief hiatus in between. In all that time I've somehow never played a Joy Division song, although there was a collab with Lynda in the works but Nathan decided to make an early appearance which put paid to that.

Here is my opportunity to amend that oversight, thanks Lynda! It used to be a mainstay of my open Mic sets when I played guitar but this is my first attempt at translating it to the uke.

321-Sunday 1

Here is a Scorpions song. I heard this on the radio awhile back and thought this is (ukulele) doable. Luckily I've not done any Scorpions earlier in the Seasons.

Now to go look through my iTunes and see who's next. Wait have I done a Who song?

Last edited:
Here is a Scorpions song. I heard this on the radio awhile back and thought this is (ukulele) doable. Luckily I've not done any Scorpions earlier in the Seasons.

Now to go look through my iTunes and see who's next. Wait have I done a Who song?

[video=youtube;Q7G1uql8OOc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7G1uql8OOc[/vieo]

A what song?

Well what are the chances of that? A lot of the songs I have lined up for the #365ukesongs thing have already been Season-ised, or are by artists that I have covered before. But last night, when I saw the new theme, what was on the top of the pile for today? Something by Townes Van Zandt, a writer I have never covered - so it's time to put that right.

I am such a weirdo. I do songs people have never heard before all the time, but when I'm "assigned" to discovery new stuff, I pout like a little kid who doesn't want to do his homework and I basically refuse to do it. I'm also such a weirdo that I've never done a Beatles song in the Seasons! So, here's one. The first Beatles album I ever had was ironically enough their last album, "Let it be", and I loved this song off of it the first time I heard it, and still do. I know Linda is a big Beatles fan too. This is my legit first take at it, first time even rehearsing it all the way thru, but I got thru it, so I kept it, shaky though it may be in a few spots.

i'm usually all over the 70's and 80's, and am no stranger to bringing 1960's songs either, so i reckon a good place for me to look for songs and artists i haven't done covers of before, is what i like to imagine as the modern era, 90's stuff, and even music from this current sci-fi sounding century

so, here's mika from 2007, "happy ending"

I've been participating for a little more than half a year only, so it's not that hard finding a song of an artist, I havn't covered yet.
I've neither sung a song written by Jerry Chesnut, nor one sung by George Jones or Elvis Costello.
So "Good Year for the Roses" should be OK.

I guess for me this season's subtitle could be "songs that I like but have never covered because I don't want anyone's first exposure to the song to be my lousy cover of it." Anyway, Fiona Flanagan usually just goes by her first name, and this was from her debut solo album in 1985. This is my favorite song from that album, but it did not chart. Her only charting single was titled "Talk To Me," which unfortunately shared the same title with a much more popular song by Stevie Nicks at the same time. She also did backing vocals for some hard rock bands (such as Warrant) and she acted in some movie with Bob Dylan that I have never seen. I think she's still active with performing, but hasn't made any albums since 2011, and made only 5 albums in all. She has a very powerful voice.

For Season of the Ukulele 321, here's one by Captain Beefheart, an artist I've never done before, but whose music I adore. This is "Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles" for tenor ukulele with singing, and overdubs of Ubass, and a metal click sound (two oversized paperclips clapping together) in the chorus.

In all these years (including more than 300 entries), I've never covered Los Lobos. Until now. Rani helped. This is an early one of theirs. My el cheapo Makala sounds pretty good (IISSM)!

looking at other UK hits from 2007, i saw "truly madly deeply" by cascada. i don't think even i can do the song that fast :eek: and i know for a fact i couldn't get away with any of the outfits from the video :eek: so here is a take, somewhere between that super fast dance speed, and the original tempo from the verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow and verrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy melloooooooooooooooooooooooow 1997 original by savage garden

Top Bottom