Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

<TCK> So Monday I got a text from a fellow I have known since he was a kid. I worked with his Mom, and when his dad passed away his sophomore year, we became pretty close. I was close enough to his age to almost be a peer...and old enough to almost be a dad, or at least a source of advise and grounding. It totally worked. Anyway- he was always a very good guitar player...and certainly one of my inspirations as I struck out to figure out strings (at the time he was building Compass Rose Ukes with Rick Turner). I should get to the text.
"Hey- wanna go to Jerry Douglas?"
"Me and Dad talked about it- but it is standing room only and dad cannot do that I don't think...and its a school night."
"What if you were on the guest list and could meet him?"
"I am sure dad will be interested even more at this prospect. Lemme check."
Christopher was delivering a guitar he had spent a year building to a man who has amassed 14 Grammy's playing the darn things, and he had invited me to go along. I could not be more proud of a friend than I was last night, but I am trying to keep myself on track here. Now...Y'all know dad has played slide forever (though his hiatus did him no good) and Jerry Douglas is kind of a god in our realm...he really is the best and has the cred to support it, but here is the really cool thing. The man is about the nicest guy you would ever want to meet. He played a 2 hour set and after we were having small talk with a few fans...and I looked at him and said "can we just open this damn thing?" pointing to the guitar, because I really wanted to see it and hear it. He looked at me and replied "Well YES!" Off to the green room we went, joking and carrying on as he took delivery of his new instrument, and its builder sat quietly and smiled at the interactions. Reality is talking to Jerry is like talking to your neighbor, but the wheels are faster. He thinks at a rate that is a lot faster than most, and to follow him you have to bring your A Game...but it really was one of the coolest meetings I have had with one of my heroes, and dad was pretty stoked as well.
So I got to thinking...boy do I suck. I suck more than one could ever suck...and I have never played a Jerry Douglas song because he is awesome and intimidating. Like mind-blowing awesome and mind blowing intimidating...but I really reckon now that he would like to see me suck and probably play along with the sucking. So here is the song I first learned of Jerry Douglas from, at dusk on a mountain a 100 years ago-
I really hope everyone knows that song, because it is a beaut. Probably one of the most beautiful pieces of live music I have ever heard.
And now...A tribute to a guy who plays a Dobro like no one else, and is really cool. A guitar builder who builds the most beautiful things I have ever seen, and a night with my dad I will never forget. Please excuse the suck. I will never play like Jerry Douglas. I will never sing like Allison Krauss. I will never craft a song this beautiful, this sad...but I have heart. I think I have a lot of it. That and a bunch of ukes I ought to play. Thanks for putting up with me this week...god, I promised I would not do this anymore. You forced my hand...made me not just phone one or two in. The mark of a great season right there. Much Love </TCK>

Did I mention Melissa? Yeah- she wanted in on this.

Jeez, I could at least spell your name right huh? Sorry Lynda!
no worries!! i answer to lynda, obviously, but also linda, or lyn or lynne, or BEV, or "oi, you!" or "dinner's ready!" or pretty much anything except lindy :stop: the sound of which is for some reason akin to fingernails scraping loudly down a blackboard, to me!

5th song from me, here's a homemade one about discovery

it's a song about how i discovered uke

yeah

it's like a documentary

I'd like a judge's decision on this one.

I'm thinking about covering a Placebo song. I have never covered a Placebo song before, but my cover of Sinead O'Connor's Jackie was heavily influenced by Placebo's version of it. Will it still count? Also, it is quite vulgar. If you'd prefer that I didn't bring a vulgar song to your season, please let me know.

I'd like a judge's decision on this one.

I'm thinking about covering a Placebo song. I have never covered a Placebo song before, but my cover of Sinead O'Connor's Jackie was heavily influenced by Placebo's version of it. Will it still count? Also, it is quite vulgar. If you'd prefer that I didn't bring a vulgar song to your season, please let me know.

Robin, thank you for reaching out with these questions. First of all, if you haven't covered a Placebo song, one is indeed fair game to be covered this Season, provided the song itself has also not been covered by you. Regarding vulgarity in the song, please examine the song in regard to the UU forum/Seasons standards for posts, as identified in their guidelines. If your song fits the bill according to them, it's fine with me. I hope this clarifies things and I hope you can bring the song you have in mind.

ALERT: WEEKEND SPECIAL! Any Seasonista who has posted the maximum five songs, may submit an additional post each day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday! Still only one post may be put on the thread on any day by any individual. Sorry about the limits this week; I've been under the gun here with time constraints/commitments.

Wishing everyone a fine weekend! Thank you! Linda :)

Robin, thank you for reaching out with these questions. First of all, if you haven't covered a Placebo song, one is indeed fair game to be covered this Season, provided the song itself has also not been covered by you. Regarding vulgarity in the song, please examine the song in regard to the UU forum/Seasons standards for posts, as identified in their guidelines. If your song fits the bill according to them, it's fine with me. I hope this clarifies things and I hope you can bring the song you have in mind.

Thanks. I've just been looking at the forum rules, and the only things that might possibly apply are the following points listed under "please don't."

3.2 Post anything promoting or expressing racism, homophobia, bigotry or other idiotic hating. People are people and variety is cool.
3.4 Post offensive things. Occasional profanity may be tolerated, but if it isn't necessary please consider not using it.

It definitely doesn't fall foul of 3.2 and I could argue that the profanity is artistically necessary for the song in question, and even quite poetic, so I think I'll go with it.

Now I just hope that I get time to record the song or I will have caused a fuss for nothing.

I've been a big Gilbert O'Sullivan fan since I was a little kid cause my parents had his debut "Himself" album, and I wore it out. This is obviously his best known tune. I've dabbled with this song off and on, but not recently, and never have tried to record it. This is a "comfort food" type song for me whenever I hear it. I probably could have gotten a better take, but I made it thru the solo, hard to do with the red light on, so I kept it.

Ahoy everybody.
Today I decided to experiment a little bit, so I did another hip-hop song on the Uke.
Here is 'Lick a Shot' by Cypress Hill
Enjoy

Last edited:
Thanks. I've just been looking at the forum rules, and the only things that might possibly apply are the following points listed under "please don't."

3.2 Post anything promoting or expressing racism, homophobia, bigotry or other idiotic hating. People are people and variety is cool.
3.4 Post offensive things. Occasional profanity may be tolerated, but if it isn't necessary please consider not using it.

It definitely doesn't fall foul of 3.2 and I could argue that the profanity is artistically necessary for the song in question, and even quite poetic, so I think I'll go with it.

Now I just hope that I get time to record the song or I will have caused a fuss for nothing.

Sounds fine to me then, Robin. I hope you'll get to bring it!

I first heard this song performed by Fischerspooner. Then I found out it's by Wire. And it's so good. And I've never played a song from either group before. Ah, sweet discovery.

Friday afternoon here on Long Island and for me, the weekend has officially begun. I hope everyone has been enjoying this Season as much as I have. We've a few more days to go and I look forward to what's still to come.

I'm blown away by Laura Marling and Johnny Flynn on this one. Gorgeous song. Gorgeous duet. Worth a listen:

Any link you'd like to share, Pa? Song title?
I have really enjoyed the prompt to look for 'new to me music' this week Linda. I do it every now and again mainly to meet a seasons theme. But I've done it every day this week.
So a BIG thank you!
This one is brill imho. Love the driving rhythm and the energy. It is longer than need be imho. It sort of encouraged my latest original. Black Dresses is also worth a listen. Didn't hear anything I didn't like.

I have also discovered Patty Gurdy this week and learnt about the Hurdy Gurdy.

There's just always someone new. Always a voice that finds you and doesn't let go:

What those guys really look like:

Last edited:
Top Bottom