Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

Just a message for Mountain goat. Jon, you'll need to clear space in your inbox.

I missed the "Queen" week way back in the early days

A wee mess around with 'People Get Ready' with a bit of percussion thrown in , I don't do perfection I do discovering and learning ................

Last edited:
For my 5th and final song of this great week I wanted to bring something different. I've been turned onto a lot of stuff I've never heard before since I became a part of the Seasons, and Lynda doing all the T. Rex/Marc Bolan material is a perfect example of it. I had never heard of Marc Bolan before, but I sure have now. Linda did thing song last week for the "Ain't" Season, and I loved in instantly, so I thought hey, why not try it this week, obviously I'd never done a T. Rex tune before. I was gonna do it like she did, but then I thought, I'm gonna go wild and do it my own way, and this is how it came out. I had fun trying it.

This week's theme's timing is both good and bad for me. See, I'm out on the road again! I've got a three week holiday for Myanmar Buddhist New Year, and I've got an ambitious motorcycle journey planned. Of course, I've strapped the ukulele to the back the motorbike, not only to entertain myself and others with, but also to participate in the Seasons!

thingyan2018.jpg

The bad timing is that out here in the remote foothills of the Himalayas on the border with India, the internet ain't so good, and I can't research a new song by someone I've never covered before. So, I gotta resort to the original lifeline... Just improvised something about my first 4 days on this journey.

Last edited:
Another phenomenal evening of listening for me. Thank you so so much for the great songs you've brought and the way you've made them seem as if they'd been written for you and your ukes. Beautiful stuff.

A listen for tonight. If anyone here hasn't heard Ted Hawkins, well, he's really something special. Here's my favorite by him. I don't think I've ever heard anyone bring him to the Seasons.

I don't believe this. Last night I was listening to Mary Gauthier, after Dickadcock's version of Mercy Now impressed me so much, and I saw that she had recorded a Ted Hawkins song for a tribute album to him. I had forgotten all about Ted. I saw him in the 80s when he toured over here a few times, and had a couple of his albums. He had a voice to die for, but never managed to get the big break he needed. Anyway, when I looked to see what there was on YouTube, this was the first song I found.

I don't believe this. Last night I was listening to Mary Gauthier, after Dickadcock's version of Mercy Now impressed me so much, and I saw that she had recorded a Ted Hawkins song for a tribute album to him. I had forgotten all about Ted. I saw him in the 80s when he toured over here a few times, and had a couple of his albums. He had a voice to die for, but never managed to get the big break he needed. Anyway, when I looked to see what there was on YouTube, this was the first song I found.

Here's the chords for that artist and song if you wanna give it a go Steve ....................https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/ted_hawkins/there_stands_the_glass_ukulele_2263321

More Joni Mitchell - "Big Yellow Taxi" (1970), sort of instrumental

I discovered Ted back in the late 90s and just adored him. Glad that this Season gave him back to you, Steve!

Muse is another glaring omission in my Seasons back-catalogue. Was tempted by one of the big riff monsters like Plug In Baby or Hysteria but I decided to do a slower one I've always loved. Got a great syncopated rhythm I wanted to try and get down but in the end just sort of went with the flow.

Really love the progression in the chorus of this song. The C (in the key I'm playing in at least) gives a bit of optimism before the F seems to bring it back to the bittersweet tone of the song.

It's been a while that I had contributed a song for the seasons. I added two guitar tracks..best enjoyed with headphones

It's fairly easy to sing along in the chorus section even if you don't speak German

And now, as I get ready to call it a night and bring my Thursday of this fantastic week to a close, I once again thank you for your wonderful contributions to our collective musical journey. Today was another fine day of discovering new artists and reconnecting with those I hadn't heard in awhile. Thank you.

And now, I'd like to offer one more listen. Awhile back, York Steve and i were conversing on a thread about the song "You Belong To Me." He suggested that I give Kate Rusby's interpretation a listen. I just adored it. Here's something really special, thanks to Steve:

This is my version of the same song name “Always With Me”! Hope it meet the requirements here?
:bowdown:

that was so lovely! really wonderful playing! (and a gorgeous uke!)

(for future reference, though, we are meant to bring newly made videos - vidoes recorded in the week of the season)

I had never heard of Marc Bolan before, but I sure have now.
lol!!!!!!!

Linda did thing song last week for the "Ain't" Season, and I loved in instantly, so I thought hey, why not try it this week, obviously I'd never done a T. Rex tune before. I was gonna do it like she did, but then I thought, I'm gonna go wild and do it my own way, and this is how it came out. I had fun trying it.
that was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! i love love LOVED it! :rock: :worship:

I've never done anything by these guys before. I guess they were a one-hit wonder, and this was it. Just basic southern blues rock. I overdubbed my best attempt at some single-string blues shredding.

A really significant band for me 20 years ago, since fallen by the wayside. Anyway, here’s Campfire Kansas by the Get Up Kids

Here's one from a TV show that I haven't covered for the Seasons before. Solorule inspired me to do it after talking about doing instrumentals.

:bowdown:

that was so lovely! really wonderful playing! (and a gorgeous uke!)

(for future reference, though, we are meant to bring newly made videos - vidoes recorded in the week of the season)

lol!!!!!!!

that was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! i love love LOVED it! :rock: :worship:

Jeez, I could at least spell your name right huh? Sorry Lynda!

A paoriginal penned for your week Linda. On the subject of discovery - which sometimes you wish you hadn't.

Music and family keep me going.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom