Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

This is one I have played a bit at home here, without committing it to the seasons. I did an "Old Time Religion" song a few weeks back, but this is a completely different beast. I have been quite taken with the themes in a few of Parker Millsap's songs

Last edited by Rustyy; 04-10-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    Russell
    from Queenscliff, near Geelong, near Melbourne, in Australia

Looks like I am on a bit of a new artist roll. I think someone else did this during that wonderful 80s Synth Pop season we had a while back. But I have never tried the Pet Shop Boys myself, so here goes.

www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Very cool theme, Linda! I suppose I will contribute a song ( I recently discovered a fine alternative Country band) for your season and another for Lynda's ( I already picked a song). btw I'm logged in with my new account..I simply forgot my password
    Heino

Quote Originally Posted by LJR View Post
    Very cool theme, Linda! I suppose I will contribute a song ( I recently discovered a fine alternative Country band) for your season and another for Lynda's ( I already picked a song). btw I'm logged in with my new account..I simply forgot my password
    Heino
    Great, Heino! Wonderful!

Thanks for hosting this one Linda x I thought this was gonna be a quickie but I soon realised the arrangement visits every fret up til the 13th. I don't like musicals so I know I definately haven't covered this choon from 'Oklahoma'. A bit rough and ready with the dog chomping and nudging me tucked behind my legs but hey I'll never be ready for Madison Square Gardens

Last edited by mythinformed; 04-11-2018 at 01:49 AM.
    It seems everyone's trying to play the ukulele like someone else............the only real way is your own way.

Default 321-Wednesday

I sneaked into Randy's studio for this one.

Last edited by Jazzbanjorex; 04-11-2018 at 02:25 AM.

It's no secret that I deeply love traditional country music, and "The Bakersfield sound" may well be my all time favorite style of it. In that vein, it came to me that I've never done a Wynn Stewart song, and I needed to correct that badly. Stewart was a huge influence on the Bakersfield sound, and was considered a "singers singer". The other singers pretty much all thought he was the best. He had some hits, but was never a superstar. He was a different cat, had personal problems, and died fairly young, but man could he sing a country song. Buck Owens did the most famous version of this song, and Rodney Crowell took this one to #1 in the country charts in the late 80's, but I think Wynn Stewart's version was the best one. BTW, Merle Haggard played bass in Stewart's band in Vegas in the early 60's, and Wynn Stewart gave Haggard the tune "Sing a sad song", which was Merle Haggard's debut single.

Wow! I just scrolled through the titles of the submissions and found tons of discoveries to listen to this season. When I read the instructions for this season, I saw ROXY MUSIC right at the top of the list of suggestions, so I knew then and there I would be taking a crack at this tune by Bryan Ferry. I got turned on to it by an album called "The Jazz Age" by the Bryan Ferry Orchestra. A wonderful discovery, indeed! (I, too, have been sick, so pardon the bed-head.)

Quote Originally Posted by turtledrum View Post
    Please join us. The first time can seem a little scary, but it'll be so much fun once you begin. Please ask questions if you need help.

And thanks, Robin!
    Okay. Here goes. I've posted videos of a few instrumentals on UU. Here's my first with singing. Hope I'm doing it right. Thanks.

Day 4 of our Discovery Channel is upon us! And we have a new participant: good_uke_boy! Welcome and thank you for joining us!

This morning I have another discovery to share with you. So far, I shared links to music by Willie Watson, the Unthanks, and Smoky Dawson - all performers I discovered thanks to listening to our Seasonistas (Jon, Elena and Pa). This morning I go to my favorite discovery. Very early on in my Seasons journey, Lynda (BEVOMU) covered this song and I fell in love with it from the moment it began. (I still don't know how Lynda sang all the parts in each line without losing her breath. Amazing vocal!) Anyway, here is my favorite Seasons discovery ever, thanks to
    BEV's cover.) ALERT: heavy duty 70s vibe on the way!

"Mirrors in the Sun" by Sally Oldfield:

Thread Information