Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

This is an original that I wrote some time ago, but have never put on the Seasons before. This is a new recording of it, this time with some overdubbed harmonica. I thought our host might like the sentiment.

Grandpa had a bottle that he kept in his top drawer
    Just an empty old pop bottle that he'd stopped up with a cork
    Funny when you look back, people did the things they did
    I didn't understand it as a kid

I never thought of Grandpa as the sentimental sort
    He never seemed to smile too much, and his temper was a little short
    But he liked to sit outside and read his True West magazine
    And he always watched Bonanza on TV

He'd finish every day with a pipe on his back porch
    Just an old Missouri Meerschaum packed with Carter Hall, of course
    He'd wake up every morning and first thing, he'd make his bed
    Then he'd shave and splash some Wildroot on his head

He took out the bottle one day when he was looking for his keys
    He saw me looking at it, and he handed it down to me
    A strange expression crossed his face, he put one hand on my head
    He spoke quietly, and this is what he said

That bottle's full of air from back in 1965
    When the barn was freshly painted and your Grandma was still alive
    I had a brand new pickup and my overalls weren't too worn
    I sealed it off the day that you were born

Grandpa passed with half a pint of Wildroot left to use
    And his last old faded overalls were whiter than they were blue
    He'd cleaned his old corncob and set it on his mantelpiece
    And there were three bowls left of Carter Hall, at least

They asked me if there was anything of his I'd like to keep
    I'd forgotten all about it, but then my memory took a leap
    I said, There's an empty old pop bottle hidden back behind his socks
    And I guess I could use his old radio clock

Yes, it's funny, when you look back, people did the things they did
    I didn't understand it as a kid
    Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

i've never done a cover of an original song by heino before. and, indeed, you could argue that i haven't here! but i loved his song for this season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjflHR0E7mI&t=1s and wanted to bring it too, but a. my german is non-existent and b. i worked on this away from the computer, with only the memory of his song, and the two lyrics from it that i did know, to guide me! so, here's something that WANTED to be a cover of his song, and tried to be, but ended up going it's own merry way! (i'm afraid it is no longer about getting drunk and vomiting )

lynda

My favorite new band this year is Superorganism. They have members from 5 different countries, and several of them met on-line. They started putting together songs by passing around sound files and adding their own touches. Last spring, they posted their first song on Soundcloud and it somehow got the attention of the British music press. It was only when people wanted to see them on tour that they all got together in person for the first time.

Here's them performing it live:
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

3 videos this week! I'm on a roll! Admittedly, all 3 songs were songs that I had toyed with doing for previous seasons but didn't get around to doing. In fact, in the past 8 seasons that I have missed, I had songs ready to go for all of them, but didn't manage to do them for whatever reason. Hopefully I'll have another chance to play the Rammstein song that I had ready for Ylle's season. Anyway, If bad language offends you, probably best not to listen to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    i've never done a cover of an original song by heino before. and, indeed, you could argue that i haven't here! but i loved his song for this season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjflHR0E7mI&t=1s and wanted to bring it too, but a. my german is non-existent and b. i worked on this away from the computer, with only the memory of his song, and the two lyrics from it that i did know, to guide me! so, here's something that WANTED to be a cover of his song, and tried to be, but ended up going it's own merry way! (i'm afraid it is no longer about getting drunk and vomiting )

Oh, how I adore your spin on 'Hawaii, Hawaii'!!) You did a supreme job, Lynda!

This week's been great Linda. Each song I've done so far has taken a bit of arranging, a way of fitting it on a uke fretboard. I love that challenge and I don't force myself down that route often enough, so thank you.

Here's a song by Souxsie and the Banshees that has one of my favourite ever riffs. I've wanted to do it for ages but never found a theme to fit.

Bloody difficult to keep the fingerpicking in the verses going.

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Quote Originally Posted by pabrizzer View Post
    I have really enjoyed the prompt to look for 'new to me music' this week Linda. I do it every now and again mainly to meet a seasons theme. But I've done it every day this week.
    So a BIG thank you!
    This one is brill imho. Love the driving rhythm and the energy. It is longer than need be imho. It sort of encouraged my latest original. Black Dresses is also worth a listen. Didn't hear anything I didn't like.

I have also discovered Patty Gurdy this week and learnt about the Hurdy Gurdy.

Thanks for both of these listens, Brian! I was fascinated by the sound of that hurdy gurdy. Really mesmerizing in this song! Thanks!

Hi everybody.
    Today I am going a different way than last time. I did a version of the song "Spooky" from the film "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"; the song is by Atlanta Rhythm Section but I am basing mine on the Dusty Springfield version that I heard in the abovementioned film.
    Anyway, here is my attempt.

"Pretty Miss" Norma Jean was Porter Wagoner's girl singer before Dolly Parton, and I was always a fan of Norma Jean. She was as different from Dolly as different could be. Norma Jean was not flashy at all, plaintive style, came off like a conservative housewife of the 1960's, but she was really good at what she did. Here's one of her songs I've always gotten a kick out of, I had to change the lyric in the first line to make it fit for a guy to sing it. I took the sporanino challenge on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDP View Post
    I've never done anything by these guys before. I guess they were a one-hit wonder, and this was it. Just basic southern blues rock. I overdubbed my best attempt at some single-string blues shredding.

Georgia Satellites weren't no one hit wonders at my place brother.
    this song below, still in my top 10 faves of all time.
    please play it for me Alan.

Thread Information