Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 321 - The Discovery Channel

I hope everyone is enjoying the fine songs that have come in so far in our last day of Season 321. I couldn't be happier to see where this theme has taken us.

Just a reminder: we've until 12 a.m. on April 16th (Hawaiian time) for your final submissions. Thank you all! Linda

I've one more listen to offer. While she's not a new kid on the block, by any means, Abigail Washburn has flown beneath the radar of many music lovers. She's a personal favorite of mine. Here's one I hoped you might enjoy:

LATE AGAIN, but under the wire with a first ever attempt at a Roxy Music tune.

Itís Matt.

Find more here. Since itís me, itís more like YouRube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuU...y_n27rDdMI_Lcg

Charlie Walker began his career as a country radio DJ for KENS, 680 AM, in San Antonio in the 1950s. He signed with Decca Records in the mid 50s and had a country music career that last nearly 30 years. His biggest hit was his version of "Pick Me Up On Your Way Down," which hit #2 in 1958. Apparently this song of his did not chart, but I've always liked it because it sounds so much like "Crazy Arms," which I also like. I think that might be Ray Price singing the harmony vocal in the original. This song was later covered by Connie Smith.

I remember hearing him DJ'ing in the late 60s/early 70s when I was a kid. By that time, KENS was the callsign of the TV station only and the radio affiliate had changed its callsign to KKYX, which it still is now. I guess by that time, he was no longer a full time DJ and only returned for guest spots now and then.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

I've got my mates service tomorrow and I've never had a crack at this one sooooooooo..................

It seems everyone's trying to play the ukulele like someone else............the only real way is your own way.

I discovered The Who, never played in the seasons

Like Berni, I thought I wasn't going to get one in this week because my wife had eye surgery last Friday and my elder daughter was visiting during the week with granddaughter and we don't get to see them very often as they live in London, then I had a gig yesterday.

I did find a song to do. Linda mentioned the Unthanks in the OP and while I'm not a huge fan, they are local to the Region so I looked up their discography and found they had recorded a song I first heard on a Kathryn Tickell album. Kathryn Tickell is a Northumbrian Piper and doesn't sing herself but the song itself was sung by Carolyn Robson who is a Northumbrian Folk singer and I was in her group at Folkworks summer school one year. I looked it up on You Tube and I found the Unthanks version and also an instrumental version by Kathryn Tickell. Here she is with her band playing Felton Lonnen on Pipes.

Here is my effort played on Flute, Harmonica, Soprano Recorder and Baritone Ukulele. The photos in the video are taken from Coniston Water in the English Lake District, one of the most beautiful parts of England.

The song is of a Mother wondering where her son has got to at the end of the day and asking her husband to go out and find him as he's always wandering off across the fields of their farm. It's a lovely song but probably better sung by a woman.

A "Lonnen" is a dialect word found in both Northumbrian and Cumbrian dialect and is a lane or track.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

BDU and I did a version of "Mourning Song" by Shovels & Rope. Great song!

New EP "Epiphanies" on Bandcamp - iTunes - Amazon - Spotify

A one taker blast of Beatles as my last entry. Thanks for hosting this one Linda x

It seems everyone's trying to play the ukulele like someone else............the only real way is your own way.

Quote Originally Posted by LJR View Post
    Oh, how I adore your spin on 'Hawaii, Hawaii'!!) You did a supreme job, Lynda!
    bless you heino! thank you so much for the inspiration!
    lynda

Thread Information