First Solo Open Mic

Osprey

Reaction score
Our ukulele group meets every Sat morning. The first Saturday each month we have a couple of Open Mic performances. I have played in a group at these Open Mics but never as a solo act. Today I did it. I played and sang all by myself. I was not perfect by a long way but I got through the song and survived. I had fun. I’ll do it again one day.

DownUpDave, I played my Cedar topped Baritone. I played “Ukulele Blister” by Shane McAlister. It’s a good thing I knew the song well because I really couldn’t see the music because the Microphone was in the way.

I know many of you perform all the time. But this was a first for me/

Good for you. I have not been that brave yet. Even playing solo for friends can freak me out.

Our ukulele group meets every Sat morning. The first Saturday each month we have a couple of Open Mic performances. I have played in a group at these Open Mics but never as a solo act. Today I did it. I played and sang all by myself. I was not perfect by a long way but I got through the song and survived. I had fun. I’ll do it again one day.

DownUpDave, I played my Cedar topped Baritone. I played “Ukulele Blister” by Shane McAlister. It’s a good thing I knew the song well because I really couldn’t see the music because the Microphone was in the way.

That is cool. Everyone has a first time.

Way to go! Playing music in front of people is awesome. And by awesome, I mean a combination of great fun and sheer terror! :cool:

Way to go! Playing music in front of people is awesome. And by awesome, I mean a combination of great fun and sheer terror! :cool:

Very true. It was a rush. I was more worried about the singing then the playing. I picked an easy song for my debut. Next time I may go for some chord melody, no singing but more ukulele technique.

Congratulations, I am very proud of you. So great to hear you got through unscathed and will do it again. It is nice that you did it with a baritone. I usually perform with one of my low G tenors but I did two instrumental pieces at our Uke Jam Christmas gathering with a baritone. I will have to use a baritone on stage more often. Congratulations again :cool:

Congrats! Nothing beats the rush of your first performance! I still get adrenalized from performing but i hear it is supposed to get better over time.

Awesome, Osprey! Keep it up! It's fun, in between outings, to ask yourself, "Is there one thing in particular that I can do to improve on my performance next time out?" Then, each new outing presents an opportunity to fine-tune things, be they substantive in nature (actual singing/playing) or perhaps things of a more "logistical" nature (vocal mic placement, for instance). Hoping you'll keep on keepin' on !!

Last edited:
Cliff...congratulations on your first solo performance. Playing in front of people is scary.
Once you got over the first performance, I think it can be quite addictive.
It gives you the motivation to practice hard for the next open mic. You will just get better and better.
Perhaps you can ask someone to record your next performance so that we can enjoy it too!

Thanks to everyone for their supportive posts. This ukulele community is always willing to share advice and support. I did enjoy my experience. I’ll do it again soon. I may even post a video of it.

Exactly! It's kind of an adrenaline rush...:shaka:

Our Uke Club has 3-4 open mic' events a year, going back about 5 years. I was the very first to play at our very first open mic'. I was asked to be first and just thought what the hell, it was all friends from ukulele club, nobody was any better or worse than I was.

Top Bottom