Help with chord changes

Waytomuch

Reaction score
Hi, Any one know of an app, or online web site that will listen to my attempts at strumming various chords, and give me an indication of whether I have fingered it correctly or not?It would be a great help to me when practising my chord changes. Thank you.

I don't know much about apps. Sorry.
What I did when starting was pretty simple though.
When you make your chord just hit each string individually, like a slow strum, and listen to whether each one sounds cleanly.
A big part of learning to play is developing listening skills. IMO.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

When you strum a downstroke fast and it is with index finger nail, it is not sometimes so easy tell that all strings sound and that you have fretted them correctly, because of the duplicate notes for one thing in many ukulele chords.

So I second the slow strums and also using thumb without nail, to be able to really tell. Fingerpicking is another thing that can tell, but it will just complicate things for a beginner. And for chord changes the strum is faster for the test.

Hello and thanks Maki66,
Yes I can and do do that, not a problem mostly. But I wanted to move on to playing several different chords in succession, as in a strum patern, or even just changing between them every couple of beats or so. I thought if my iPad could listen via an app etc. And say give me a green or red light to show that the played chord was good, or as most probable off key.
I’m to busy concentrating on my fingers and the up/down strum pattern to listen as well!!!
It’s not fun being a beginner at most things. Onwards and upwards.
Thanks again.

As others have said take it slow and it will happen. I looked at my chords until I got better and then I would play with my eyes closed. You will know when you missed a chord. Start with an easy key and add to it when it happens in the dark. Your ears are the app.

Hello and thanks Maki66,
Yes I can and do do that, not a problem mostly. But I wanted to move on to playing several different chords in succession, as in a strum patern, or even just changing between them every couple of beats or so. I thought if my iPad could listen via an app etc. And say give me a green or red light to show that the played chord was good, or as most probable off key.
I’m to busy concentrating on my fingers and the up/down strum pattern to listen as well!!!
It’s not fun being a beginner at most things. Onwards and upwards.
Thanks again.

Its frustrating being a beginner for sure.
Go slow and try to be patient. You'll get there, if you stay with it.
It helps if you can enjoy the journey and not think about how you lack the skills of those who
have decades of practice in.
I'm right there with you, if that helps.

The Ukeoke app has just that thing. They have quite a few free songs you play along to, and then you get feedback on how well you played the chords. I saw a big improvement once I began using this app. I thought I was good at the G chord! The app enables you to change the beat, the lead melody, the strum pattern, the speed, etc. I’m not affiliated, I just think it’s a great app for us beginners.

I also like the Voice Record app for recording myself playing. This one was the easiest and quickest to learn for a technologically challenged person such as myself.

Thanks Ukulammy,
I will look into those today, Many thanks.

I don’t know how far along you are as a player, but you may want to check out the Populele App and see if you can get it to work without a Populele and another app called Monster Chords. Both are intended for beginners, but both use the microphone on the iOS device and give you some feedback about your playing.

And I guess you don't want to hear it, but there is one
standard reply given to everyone in your position:practice!
You are obviously enjoying what you do, so just keep at it
and in no time, chords and/or chord changes that you may
find tricky NOW will very soon be second nature to you!

Hi, Any one know of an app, or online web site that will listen to my attempts at strumming various chords, and give me an indication of whether I have fingered it correctly or not?It would be a great help to me when practising my chord changes. Thank you.

I was surprised how long it took me to make clean chord changes, but it is just a matter of practice practice practice. Before I practice a song I tend to look at the chord sequence that will be needed for the song and simply, using only my left hand, move my fingers from chord to chord, in the sequence they will be played in the song. This sets in a little bit of 'muscle memory' for me so that I make the chord changes more cleanly and quickly when I actually start strumming the song.

I'm surprised to hear that such apps exist. I had no clue.

I'm not sure they are such a good idea beyond the absolute beginner stage, though. The ability to hear whether your fretting is clean and correct is a skill that must be developed. There are a few suggestions in this thread about ways to do this (play slow, play single notes). Eventually, you'll just feel it, but it takes a good long while. In the mean time, this skill must be worked regularly. To the suggestion of how to do this I would add recording yourself and listening back. A video would allow you to hear and see what you are doing.

I'm surprised to hear that such apps exist. I had no clue.

I'm not sure they are such a good idea beyond the absolute beginner stage, though. The ability to hear whether your fretting is clean and correct is a skill that must be developed. There are a few suggestions in this thread about ways to do this (play slow, play single notes). Eventually, you'll just feel it, but it takes a good long while. In the mean time, this skill must be worked regularly. To the suggestion of how to do this I would add recording yourself and listening back. A video would allow you to hear and see what you are doing.

Ditto on video.

Hate to rain on the parade, but a LOT of good players made do without "an app for that." There are no shortcuts, no easy alternatives, just hard work and patience. You'll get it.

Hi you guys,
Thanks for the encouragement, it helps a lot. I’m practicing every day, chord changes and strums. I do feel there is a slow stead progress. I attend two Uke groups now, a couple of hours each one. It’s good fun, and it helps me with playing rhythms. One member is extremely proficient and does private lessons, so I’m going to try him this coming Thursday (26/4) to see how that goes.
I think my main problem is having, and following some structure. I just leap from one thing to another, but it’s fun.
Thanks again, hope I get there.
Glyn.

Top Bottom