Greetings from Yorkshire, UK

jimleslie

Reaction score
Hi.
Hope to pick up some useful tips, advice and assistance from this forum. I have playing rock and folk guitar for over 50 years and now getting stuck into the ukulele.
Enjoying playing American songbook stuff and Glen Rose stuff - loving the chords! Slowly acquiring the full set of ukes and am wondering whether to check out an electro acoustic tenor. I enjoy playing (strumming hand) with the pad of my first finger but it is obviously very quiet. Wondering whether a bit of amplification will help?

Hello there and welcome to the forum.
You do need and electric ukulele!
And a bass ukulele.
And a baritone ukulele.

How many ukuleles does a person need?
Only one................................more.

I played an ukulele with a pickup for the first time last week and was amazed at how much fun it was.
The little amp had all kinds of sound effects and we did rock riffs that sounded like the real thing.
That was just an Outdoor Ukulele with a cheap pickup, I can only imagine what a solid body with decent electronics is like.

Hello and welcome from an east midlander!

Welcome from a fellow Yorkie (although I was originally from darn sarf...). Whereabouts are you?
As for strumming, I seem to use the nails on my middle 2 fingers on the way down, and thumb nail on the way back up. Plenty of voulme. But maybe I'm weird...

Not a true Yorkie myself - born Co. Durham, raised in Manchester but now live in Huddersfield.
I haven't shared much time with other ukelele players so have developed what I suspect is my own strumming style - down strokes with index finger nail and much upward stroking and percussion with pads of all fingers. Knocking the varnish off my Pono MT tenor uke below the fingerboard!
Perhaps I do need to mix it a bit with other players.
Looking forward to the GNUF here in Huddersfield in May. Missed last years' but if it is as good as 2016 will be well worth a look in. Will be attending a couple of workshops. Anyone from this forum thinking of going?

Looking forward to the GNUF here in Huddersfield in May. Missed last years' but if it is as good as 2016 will be well worth a look in. Will be attending a couple of workshops. Anyone from this forum thinking of going?
Me! Last year we had a good number of UU people. Hope we get the same this time.

Perhaps UU members attending should wear identifying clothing or some other insignia?

Welcome aboard!

Top Bottom