Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Yorkshire, UK

Default Greetings from Yorkshire, UK

Hi.
    Hope to pick up some useful tips, advice and assistance from this forum. I have playing rock and folk guitar for over 50 years and now getting stuck into the ukulele.
    Enjoying playing American songbook stuff and Glen Rose stuff - loving the chords! Slowly acquiring the full set of ukes and am wondering whether to check out an electro acoustic tenor. I enjoy playing (strumming hand) with the pad of my first finger but it is obviously very quiet. Wondering whether a bit of amplification will help?

Welcome to UU Jim
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Hello there and welcome to the forum.
    You do need and electric ukulele!
    And a bass ukulele.
    And a baritone ukulele.

How many ukuleles does a person need?
    Only one................................more.

I played an ukulele with a pickup for the first time last week and was amazed at how much fun it was.
    The little amp had all kinds of sound effects and we did rock riffs that sounded like the real thing.
    That was just an Outdoor Ukulele with a cheap pickup, I can only imagine what a solid body with decent electronics is like.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Hello and welcome from an east midlander!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time!

Welcome to the forums!!

Welcome from a fellow Yorkie (although I was originally from darn sarf...). Whereabouts are you?
    As for strumming, I seem to use the nails on my middle 2 fingers on the way down, and thumb nail on the way back up. Plenty of voulme. But maybe I'm weird...
    www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Not a true Yorkie myself - born Co. Durham, raised in Manchester but now live in Huddersfield.
    I haven't shared much time with other ukelele players so have developed what I suspect is my own strumming style - down strokes with index finger nail and much upward stroking and percussion with pads of all fingers. Knocking the varnish off my Pono MT tenor uke below the fingerboard!
    Perhaps I do need to mix it a bit with other players.
    Looking forward to the GNUF here in Huddersfield in May. Missed last years' but if it is as good as 2016 will be well worth a look in. Will be attending a couple of workshops. Anyone from this forum thinking of going?

Quote Originally Posted by jimleslie View Post
    Looking forward to the GNUF here in Huddersfield in May. Missed last years' but if it is as good as 2016 will be well worth a look in. Will be attending a couple of workshops. Anyone from this forum thinking of going?
    Me! Last year we had a good number of UU people. Hope we get the same this time.
    www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Welcome to UU.
    Tenor: Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, Kala Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Perhaps UU members attending should wear identifying clothing or some other insignia?

Thread Information