NUD NEEWER NUS-20 Mahogany Soprano

D

Dean Beaver

New Uke Today .. It's been held up by Easter, so a few days overdue, but better a Neewer than Never.
It's a Neewer NUS-20 Mahogany Soprano , Solid Top and I can't be certain about the Back and Sides either way. It has ABS Tortoise Shell binding and rosette. Mahogany Neck , 38mm Nut , 15 Frets. It has Strap Buttons installed on the End and under the Neck near to the body the joint and it doesn't get in the way while playing so that's good.
Package Deal including Gig Bag, Strap, Clip-on Tuner, Pack of Neewer Strings. Cost me $72 Au .. eBay .. I couldn't find any other info on these at all, but it looked good and it's what I've been after in a Soprano for some time, so I decided to take the chance on good trust, I'm not disappointed at all, I'm very pleased with my new Uke. I'm not used to the wider fretboard but to be honest it seems like only a bit of difference to me and it feels comfortable.
The Action is good, I'll possibly lower it at some time to my own satisfaction, but it is playable as it is, and if I do touch the Action at all it will be slight, and it's playing nicely so I'm not sure it's even required at this stage. I don't like to rush into things like that if it's not necessary, rather play it a while and see how it goes. *Edited Note - I just measured the Action height and it's pretty well just where I would set mine too so I'm going to leave it as it is :)
I'm pleased, I've waited quite a while to get an affordable Soprano which I would really like, and I'm liking it. My New Neewer.

IMG_6201.jpgIMG_6202.jpgIMG_6204.jpgIMG_6207.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks very much Cam , yep I'm really pleased with this one. I have another Soprano, but it took me quite a bit of time to get it playing to my satisfaction, while this one is good for me as it is, and the two of them are quite different in build and tone. Enjoying this one quite a lot right now :)

Thank you Kathryn, I like the style and I think it was one of the factors in my decision to purchase this one, it has the factors which I was wanting.
The binding and rosette is pretty cool, it adds a nice stylish touch and it doesn't clash with the timber, rather compliments it I think, I've never been fussed about wider necks but with this being my first wider neck I am enjoying it and it is comfortable. Best of all it plays well, it has a warm tone which I like, it's got good volume, sustain, and a nice character overall, can be played gently or driven harder, and personally I find it much better suited for my singing than my other soprano is, which means I will actually do some songs with this one at some time, and that's what Ukes are for :) and as well I also like the Bridge, it's a bit smaller than the Tie Bridge and is basically more player friendly, it allows a bit more space to rest the arm without resting right on the bridge, which has been something that annoys me with my other one, although it's seemingly trivial it's a pleasant change nonetheless.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill. last year I purchased a couple of sets of these Machine Heads from the same seller that I purchased this Uke from, I've installed them on a couple of my other Ukes, I think they are "Music Lily" , it was also one of the factors which I liked about this one, as I have installed these same Machine Heads on my Rosewood Concert Uke. They aren't terribly expensive or fancy, but they function well enough and I like the colour. I think I paid around $12(Au) or somewhere thereabouts, per Set of Four Machine Heads.

+1 on everything Dean has said above. I received mine yesterday and think it's terrific. Whatever the strings are (fishing line? LOL), it has a haunting warm tone that is different from any of my other sopranos. As I have probably said before (most likely in connection to the Enya HPL camp uke, which I also like very much), I'm really not a soprano person - but I am looking forward to getting home this evening and spending more time with this little charmer.

Last edited:
That's real purdy, congratulations!

+1 on everything Dean has said above. I received mine yesterday and think it's terrific. Whatever the strings are (fishing line? LOL), it has a haunting warm tone that is different from any of my other sopranos. As I have probably said before (most likely in connection to the Enya HPL camp uke, which I also like very much), I'm really not a soprano person - but I am looking forward to getting home this evening and spending more time with this little charmer.

That's great to get the feedback and support with your opinion Kathryn.
It's really good you enjoy it and like it a lot. I have been playing mine a bit, I'm loving my new soprano, i've had a few Sopranos which have cost me $100 or less , and this is the first time for me I've had one I can really truly appreciate to own and play, and as such i think it's value is considerably more to me than those ones.
I guess it's not a Uke for everyone's tastes, as I've seen some people saying they prefer their Sopranos to be bright and jangly as it's often described, but for me this one hits the spot with it's warmth and depth in tone, I think it has good character, and it looks and feels nice. I'm looking forward to playing mine and will see how it sounds with strings of my choice on in the future some time also, but it does play and sound nicely for me as it is.
Congratulations on your New Neewer , and Many Happy Ukeings :)

Top Bottom