Review- Hinkle Concert Ukulele

Nice review, Vic. Several years ago when I was in my long neck soprano phase, I had talked with Larry about a 16" scale soprano and he agreed to build me one. But something got crossed up during the build and it turned into a 17" tenor neck. I thought I had enough tenors at the time and passed on it. He sold it right away so I don't feel bad in that way, but sometimes I still wonder if I made the right decision.

Thanks for sharing your review here, very interesting. No criticism intended but a broad feel for costs, from you or on the builder’s web site, would be a help.

I loved the sound of the Uke and the builder’s way of doing things. No bling, re-used materials, wide nut, rounded edges - I wonder about the difficulties of doing that - and that headstock design. Lower height frets are new to me and interesting (I’m assuming that they’re ones that are big enough to do the job but not so tall that pressing the string firmly downs causes it to stretch and so make a note sharp). The whole Uke has, for me, got an ‘air’ of quality and well considered simplicity about it which I very much like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom