Neal Flewelling RIP

Very sad to hear this news. I heard great things about his work. Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of playing his instruments. I had some communication with him shortly before he became ill and he was very pleasant and generous with his knowledge.

Last edited:
My dear friend, Neal Flewelling, passed away last night. He was a wonderful man and a highly skilled luthier. I'm really going to miss him.

My deepest condolences, Howard. I have lost three collaborators: Jimmy Foster and Steve Rome who also passed on, and Omar Corrales who retired. Even with Omar, I miss the weekly "production calls". And in all three cases "I really miss them".

My experience has been that most people who go into that sort of work are possessed of truly fine character, and are the kind of people you miss more for that than anything else.

Thank you. You are absolutely correct, Dirk. Neal took care of a lot of people. I'm sorry, too, for your losses.

I'm very sorry Howard. My sympathies to you, and his family in particular. Those Hollywood model ukuleles he built are beautiful instruments. But yeah, you don't remember the creations like you do the life, the person, the love. Best, mate.

I read Neal's obituary, the service is scheduled for this Saturday. At the end, the family extended an invitation to Flewelling owners to attend, and bring their instrument to join in a group playing of Amazing Grace.

Top Bottom