Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whole House Humidification Systems

Thanks for sharing your experiences and providing feedback. It sounds to me like this could work as long as there are not any extended cold periods below ~20 degrees fahrenheit, when supplementary humidification methods may become necessary.

I was warned against running moisture through the duct work , you can get mold and rust in your ductwork and its expensive to replace.
    This warning was from a HVAC guy . YMMV
    He said to use room humidifiers.
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 04-14-2018 at 01:44 AM. Reason: had more to say
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Quote Originally Posted by Pukulele Pete View Post
    I was warned against running moisture through the duct work , you can get mold and rust in your ductwork and its expensive to replace.
    This warning was from a HVAC guy . YMMV
    He said to use room humidifiers.
    As a licensed HVAC guy myself, I have never heard of such a thing. I have installed/replaced, and serviced many whole house humidifiers, and have never seen mold or rust inside anyone’s ductwork from using them. I have seen some very nasty old filters that hadn’t been changed in years/decades? Lol

Some(mainly older models) use standing water with a filter that spins in it to keep saturated. These can definitely grow bacteria if the water isn’t changed frequently. What you want is the design that uses a solenoid valve that drips water across a filter panel and drains out immediately.

I don’t really know why that guy would have said that, but if your interested in a whole house humidifier(and I highly recommend one if you have forced air) I would find another HVAC guy.

Thanks BenderBR for offering your professional opinion. They also make "misting" systems which according to some sources on the Internet are supposed to be the best and most controllable. Have you ever worked with those?

From what I've read online Pennsylvania has good humidity levels year round... Of course some levels are a littler lower/higher for a Uke, but not that far off...

Have you been checking the year round humidity levels where you live?

I guess if you like to keep the windows open in the winter, well, that's another story... LOL
    Looking For My Next Uke!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    FYI, if outdoor temps drop below 20F, you should not keep the house humidity at 40%. For every 10F drop in temp, the house humidity should drop by 5%. So, for example, if the outdoor temps are 0F then the indoor humidity should be no higher than 30%. At 10F, no higher than 35%. At -10F, no higher than 25% and so on.
    Glad for this discussion. I live not far from Mikelz in MN.
    I went to a room humidifier because I tired of dealing with the soundhole units (too many ukes, LOL!).
    It's almost impossible to keep it at 40 during colder temps here in MN, but I run I it 24/7. I have noticed the water on the windows, and even pooling onto the sill - can't be good for old wooden windows!
    Does both these factors mean I need to switch back tho the soundhole units...?

This is my street and my dancing teen neighbor, in the BLIZZARD yesterday 4/14.
    FB_IMG_1523762915438.jpg
    Last edited by ukeinfused; 04-15-2018 at 09:30 PM.
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype soprano, Peter Howlett #153
    Weymann soprano, 20's or 30's?
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Koaloha KCM-00
    Kanile'a K1 Concert
    Kamaka 1969 Tiki Concert
    Larrivee UT40MHO spruce/hog Tenor

Cool picture Tracie, she looks like an ice princess. You might say she was dancing up a storm!

This is the indoor humidity article I was talking about:
    http://www.startribune.com/fixit-wha...evel/11468916/
    Last edited by mikelz777; 04-16-2018 at 04:18 AM.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post
    Glad for this discussion. I live not far from Mikelz in MN.
    I went to a room humidifier because I tired of dealing with the soundhole units (too many ukes, LOL!).
    It's almost impossible to keep it at 40 during colder temps here in MN, but I run I it 24/7. I have noticed the water on the windows, and even pooling onto the sill - can't be good for old wooden windows!
    Does both these factors mean I need to switch back tho the soundhole units...?

FB_IMG_1523762915438.jpg
    Sweating windows and/or pooling water on window sills are bad for your windows and home. Turn the humidifier down to a level where you don't get this. When the room humidity is no longer sufficient for your instruments, put your ukes in cases. I no longer use soundhole units. I use Boveda 49% two-way humidification packs.
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

Concert: Kala ziricote, KA-ZCT-C
    Tenor: Mainland red cedar/rosewood; Kala solid mahogany, KA-SMHT
    Baritone: Kala solid cedar top acacia, KA-ABP-CTG

Quote Originally Posted by twokatmew View Post
    Sweating windows and/or pooling water on window sills are bad for your windows and home. Turn the humidifier down to a level where you don't get this. When the room humidity is no longer sufficient for your instruments, put your ukes in cases. I no longer use soundhole units. I use Boveda 49% two-way humidification packs.
    Thx, twocat and Mikel.
    Twocat, how do you use those paks for your ukes? Just looked them up on Amazon: They already have water in them, and are disposable (ugh) rather than rechargeable?
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype soprano, Peter Howlett #153
    Weymann soprano, 20's or 30's?
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Koaloha KCM-00
    Kanile'a K1 Concert
    Kamaka 1969 Tiki Concert
    Larrivee UT40MHO spruce/hog Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post

FB_IMG_1523762915438.jpg
    Don't think of it as April 14th, think of it as the 105th of January. ;-)
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thread Information