Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Better ways to carry music lightly

On the question how to load what kind of documents onto an e-reader: it depends on the model. Mine has a usb-connection (and shows up as an external drive on a computer when hooked up - drag and drop) and an SD-card slot, but no wifi. Some have bluetooth, some are linked to a specific cloud drive by the manufacturor, but all have some internal memory as well - you don't need a connection to read.

Document formats vary as well, as said above: some models have very idiosyncratic files (Amazon kindles), all can read pdf, most can do epub, and a lot can handle jpg, doc/docx and even far more. Usually moving images are not possible, although mine (promedia, actually a rebranded onyx) does read mp3 and wav.

Annotations are possible on some but not all (you know: scratching out a chord, encircling that lyric you always miss, adding a seventh to a chord...). Only touch screen ones or ones with a stylus can, and consider that in any case it will take some effort (slow writing).

I did check, and mine is only a 6,7" model and I manage, but I've had others comment that it looks mighty small. It's not, if you consider it to be the size of a pocket book and match your expectations.
    Last edited by ukulelekarcsi; 04-21-2018 at 09:58 PM.

I use a generic android tablet,and have my sheets in
    jpg format. I view them with one of the image viewers
    and can scroll through them faster than I could turn
    pages!
    I currently carry 208 songs from our local group, a dozen
    or more of my personal favourites, and around fifty more
    that I am currently 'working on' for the group. The tablet
    fits into my pocket, or the ukulele case easily,and a full
    charge lasts long enough to give me a week to ten days
    playing. Not for everyone, but it suits me!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time!

Until I upgraded to my 2017 iPad, I had an old iPad 2 that ran OnSong and my 700 chord sheets with no problem. You can pick those old iPad 2s up most days for less than $80. So.. if you don't want to carry your good iPad get an old one. Since my band uses OnSong, which only runs on IOS, having a different species of tablet is out of the question for me.

By the way, I also have OnSong on my iPhone, and I have all my songs there. Of course, its pretty small for my old eyes, but it would serve the purpose in the woods, if I already knew most of the song, and only needed a glance or two at the chords or words.
    Last edited by SweetWaterBlue; 04-19-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Thank you all for the recent posts on ereaders and tablets, some interesting options.

When talking about these electronic solutions one particular feature is really important to the user’s experience. Please would those posting their experience of electronic solutions add the screen size of their device and whether they use (or need) reading glasses or not. Please feel free to edit your earlier posts to add that information, it will help future readers of this thread.

For what it’s worth I took my iPad down to a Park (diagonally the screen measures 9 & 1/2” and my eyes need glasses) and practised there for an hour. The iPad worked OK but I did have to watch out for Sun on the screen and wasn’t that happy about having it out of the house - I feel that loss and damage are too easy in outdoor environments for me to be risking my iPad there.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 04-21-2018 at 02:48 AM.

putting material from the DU books (as an example) into some form of an electronic reader will work for some, but not for me. I end up with lots of pencil marks in the paper DU book for things like song ending tabs, an occasional chord change, notes to stretch a finish and so forth. I guess one could make these notes, typically made on the fly in a jam session, on paper and then sent them to the electronic device, but this seems to be a lot of work.

As an addendum and in light of the last couple of posts;
    my android tablet is a seven inch screen,slightly larger
    than average ereader devices. I wear glasses full time,
    I have bi-focals for distance and reading,and the size of
    the tablet is easy to read (for me) with no problems!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time!

Put DU and DU:LY PDFs on your phone. Not ideal, but if you're looking for variety beyond what you're willing to memorize, it's the cheapest compromise.

Otherwise, just buy The Daily Ukulele To Go (Fakebook) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1480342270..._OgF3AbPCXG7TM

Thread Information