Chord Melody

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I recently purchased book 1, 2, and 3 by the late Mike Lynch.The Chord Melody Books. Question is: Are these arrangements full enough for performance as written or should more be added. What is your opinion? Good for learning? Good for performing?

I agree with Campbell as above. I actually asked the same question a while back.
Go visit the post http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?130916-Ukulele-Mike-Lynch-Tribute-Videos
There are probably dozens of videos there posted by UU memebers. I personally posted 5 songs there. The first two were pretty much true to Mr. Lynch's arrangements. The last one "The Autumn Leaves", was built upon his arrangement and I just added flares, pickings and strums...etc.

good enough... is too subjective a question with way too many different opinions.

Im sure there are classical guitarists will think folk guitar is lazy and boring.
But then.. there are alot of folk guitarists that make a good living doing what they do.

My ex was a classically trained organist, and always complained that pop music was unsophisticated and dumb.
And yet... those artists are rich... so..... different strokes for different folks.

If you like those arrangements, play them and enjoy it. No matter what you play some people will appreciate it and some wont.

Hi, I just discovered his material and was so saddened to hear he had died. How can I order his chord melody books and are there 5? Thanks. Ellie

Hi, I just discovered his material and was so saddened to hear he had died. How can I order his chord melody books and are there 5? Thanks. Ellie

His "store" is here: http://www.ukulelemikelynch.com/store.htm

You pay via PayPal and they'll email you the PDFs of the books you ask for.

I haven't bought anything since he passed, but a post on his blog (https://allthingsukulele.com/) said his books are still available.

I'm not sure what the current books look like - Mike liked to re-combine his arrangements into different collections and none of the ones currently listed on his store exactly match the versions I bought years ago.

As for, "are they good enough as-is to perform"? Depends on the audience expectations. I love to play his Christmas arrangements casually for family during the holidays - simple enough that everyone immediately recognizes despite being instrumentals, yet "full" enough that it doesn't sound like you're just practicing a straight melody.

Would I play them as-is at an all-levels ukulele open-mic, sure. Would I record them as-is and try to sell an album? No.

I think they're perfect for getting started with a song, and if you really like the tune, and as you become a better player, you can spice them up and make them your own.

Thank you for that song Campbell, that was lovely!

I come to ukulele from a lifetime of jazz guitar. Chord melody suits me to a "T." The arrangements in Mike's books are immediately accessible and are usually written played with the thumb: a downstroke across the chord with the melody on top, accented if played as part of the chord, or the melody note played separately with a thumbed downstroke. Mike's earlier books were primarily fingerstyle and once he started doing chord melody, he rearranged/transposed a couple of songs to fall under the fingers better for chord melody. I recommend the books. You get a lot of songs for the money. I like most of them. Instrumental arrangements appeal to me because of my woeful singing voice.

I went to the links referenced above and browsed the contents of Mike's chord melody books. It's an amazing collection of songs! Is the music in the books strictly tab, or does it include standard musical notation as well?

Most of the music has traditional notation and tab...there are a few songs that are tab only (and thus harder for me to read! I am happiest with both!)

Here is a post with a representative screenshot of Mike’s chord melody work (from his website): https://allthingsukulele.com/2017/0...melody-ebook-one-recently-reduced-to-just-20/

It is probably fair to mention that a few people have had challenges getting orders filled since Mike’s passing in January. His daughter is running the orders and if you don’t hear back, just wait a day or two and send another e-mail to the ordering address. It isn’t a scam, but I’m pretty sure this is a secondary or third priority for the family (it was, of course. Mike’s absolute passion).

Thank you for the responding so quickly with that very helpful link! That was exactly what I was hoping for . . . it looks like I'll be putting in an order.

Gotta get these books... after I get my ukulele!

Top Bottom