Kamaka Tenor Undetermined Cause Of Buzzing Near The Bridge

Reno Dave

Reaction score
Aloha to All,
My Kamaka Tenor has developed a on again/off again Buzzing around the Bridge area.

It happens when I fret the 2nd fret of the C string. No other strings or frets cause this buzz.

I took it to a Master Luthier and he is stumped as well. We have double checked the frets, internal wiring of the K & K passive pick up, checked the saddle for imperfections, changed strings and inspected the neck for warps, and tightened all the hardware.

Still it buzzes when fretting the C string at the 2nd fret intermittently. The only thing that was suggested and was undetermined is that sound board bracing under the saddle could be loose.

I was hoping that one of the Ukulele Builders could chime in with any thoughts..The only other alternative suggested was to send it back to the factory and removing the back to check for any loose bracings.

Before I do that, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. Any input would be appreciated.

Reno Dave

Last edited:
Check your string ends at the bridge? Too long and they can buzz.

Also check your endpin jack. Take the cap off and make sure the nut on the jack is tight. Then make sure the cap is tight. Don't know if you include that with "hardware." It took me forever to find this as a buzz cause on my Kamaka.

Otherwise, probably a brace. Assume you checked the "buzz" sticky thread?

I had the same happen to a Weber Baritone I have. I thought it may have been a loose brace but turned out it was a too deep or wide 4th string slot and buzzed intermittently.. He just filled it in a bit an recut it. Blew me away it was the nut when the buzz sounded like it was coming from around the saddle.

Last edited:
Aloha and thanks to all who replied to my posted thread. Brad brought up some good ideas but I already did what he suggested.

I also put a piece of tissue paper in the nut slot of the C string to see if the nut slot was too wide.

I am thinking that a factory trip for this ukulele may be required.

Mahalo to all replied
Dave

Top Bottom