Going to Hawaii!

insula

Reaction score
Aloha all - We're going to Hawaii (Oahu & the Big Island) at the end of May, beginning of June (finally - a dream come true). Any suggestions/opportunities for kanikapila while we're in Honolulu and Hilo? Am still deciding whether we need to stay a couple of nights in Kona-kailua, or make our base in Hilo and drive to the Kona side for day trips. I'm bringing my so-far indestructible soprano in luggage, would rather have uke experiences than buy another instrument. Hope we can make it to the North Shore of Oahu to visit HMS and watch surfers.
Mahalo for any and all advice!

You might want to check the website and Facebook pages for the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii. That have regular kanikapila sessions and I'll bet that visitors are more than welcome.

Yes all are welcome to the Guild events. I saw the message, I was recently added as an admin to the FB group but for some reason my permissions to reply has not gone through yet!
I am looking for an event while you are here and so far it looks like you will just miss a couple of Guild events.
I will check with the guys this weekend (we have an event at Bishop Museum this Saturday) and I will let you know.
Cheers!

There are few threads regarding the Big Island worth looking at;
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?117526-Big-Island-Hawaii-Shops
Have you been to the Big Island?
Hilo is generally rainy, Kona is dry and sunny.
Hilo does have nice water falls, and of course the volcano.
Use caution around water, the streams can flash flood in an instant.
Salt water is just as dangerous to the unweary, Use caution PLEASE.

As for the North Shore and surfing, the peak times are Dec-Feb. more or less.
Spring time sand bars are lovely at Ehukai, but usually smallish this time of year.
May as well check it all out when you visit HMS anyways.

I was in Oahu in January and had a great time. Took my trusty Fluke with me and really enjoyed it. One of the best experiences that I had was going to the Kanile’a factor tour in Kaneohe on the windward side of the island. The make beautiful instruments and the staff were warm and friendly.

Went to the Big Island last year. We stayed in Kona and took day trips all around the island. If you want to see things on Hawai'i you are going to have to drive.

Most people stay the majority of their time in Kona. There's more touristy stuff to see there (and it's sunny most of the time). If you really like driving you can try the Hilo only approach, but it's slow going if you're used to US freeways (speeding on the Saddle is a federal ticket) and pretty boring scenery most of the way unless you drive the much longer Hamakua Coast way. I love Hilo side, but it's more local and you've got to be in the know to entertain yourself for very long without getting into trouble.

I don't know of any jams in Hilo. Alan Hale does one on Thursdays (morning, I think) at the Kona civic center. Konaweb is your friend: http://www.konaweb.com/musicians/events.shtml.

No matter where you stay, go to Uncle Roberts in Kalapana on a Wednesday night. It's the worlds most epic bar/surf/music/craft/Hawaiian/hippie scene. Never know what you're going to get, but it's always fun. Killer food and crafts and REAL Hawaiian music. You've never seen anything like it. You can find a lot of pretty stuff in a guidebook; it's all I recommend to people any more.

We were on the Big Island in January, based out of Hilo. We took day trips to every part of the island. Kona is only an hour and a half via the saddle road. It rained everyday on us in Hilo, and not just showers this time, so we would go spend the day on the sunny side.

Brad mentions Uncle Robert's and I have to add to this. If you are interested in seeing the real Puna, you need to check this out. Wild and fun. It was my second time there, the first was 2007 and fairly tame by comparison. This time around it had blown up! Rockin' music, absolutely incredible foods and so much more (kava bar? Alien landing pad?).

I went to the Kanile'a factory tour a few weeks ago, and I found it really interesting. My wife and I were the only ones that day so it was a private tour.
It's in Kaneohe on Oahu. If you can find your way over there, it's worth it.
(I think the other K brands also have tours in their Honolulu shops, but I wasn't able to make those).

Mahalo to all you nice folks who answered with great suggestions!. We've decided to do three nights in Hilo, three in Kona, to have all bases covered. We're renting a car on the Big island, not in Oahu though, plan to take the bus in Honolulu.

Top Bottom