Concave frets why

I don't even know you could make frets concave. Flat? Yes. Its not that unusual for someone to do a fret levelling job on an instrument but then not recrown the frets.

Actually, on which frets exactly is the problem? Frets do wear down after hard use so instruments that get a lot of playing do need new frets from time to time.

A picture would definitely help as it is hard to tell if you are talking about concave frets rather than crowned or that the fretboard is actually cupped, which is what I think you are talking about just because you mention the fretboard.

Fretboard seems flat. The frets are protruding in to the fretboard, if that eventually clears anything?
What could that be a sign of?

It sounds like someone's whacked the frets in the middle - I'm hoping those with more experience will confirm / overrule me on that though.

Are they bar frets or T frets? If Bar frets it would explain why someone might try to drive a fret in rather than file it level. Side note you can level bar frets without filing by raising or lowering an individual fret, eliminating the need to recrown.
You must remove the offending fret and make the proper depth adjustment of the slot.

Are they bar frets or T frets?

Thanks for your replies.
They are T frets. They should be able to sink back in to the slots again too, shouldn´t they?
I think the explanation might be exposure to the various humidity over the year(s?) in a combination with perhaps not highest quality of fret work.
I hope somebody with more experience than me will correct that if so necessary, please.

Can you post some pictures? When you mentioned "Concave" frets my fist thought is that the top edge of the frets has a channel it with two raised edges. THat's literally what concave means.

Then I though you may mean the fretboard has a negative radius on it rather than being flat or have a positive radius OR maybe the frets aren't all sitting in the slots properly OR there may be some localised wear on a fret or two.

TO help you we need you to clear up what you mean by concave frets. Its not making much sense to us.

Maybe the OP is talking about a 'scalloped fretboard' but does not know what that is?

Does it look like these (where there is a rounded valley carved out between the frets)?

Scalloped_fretboard.jpg

ibanez_scalloped_neck.jpg

Not that advanced. And no, it isn´t scalloped. Back to basics, a convex lens is bent outwards, right?
A concave lens is bent inwards. If the fret has a shape that makes it fit to concave lens, then I call it bent concavely or just concave, please correct if I´ve misunderstod anything.
I find difficults in getting a good photo. It is the 6th fret.
CAM01111-1.jpg

There seems to be a language barrier here Henning. So its just one fret and all the others are fine?

"Stuff happens" is the best answer I can come up with for the original question. I've had single frets repaired before on a ukulele due to wear and tear. If you can't see an obvious cause for the problem, even if you can see an obvious cause of the problem, just take it to a Luthier to have it fixed. Frets need to be fixed and replaced from time to time for various reasons.

Its nothing particularly unusual.

Maybe the fret is worn down at that spot and needs replacing .

It is really a new ukulele. Well, not more then a few years. It has hardly been played at all but most of the time been sitting or hanging on the wall.
I´d indeed find it a challenge to play an ukulele so much that the frets get worn.(!)

Well, is it just the fret that's warped or is it the fretboard that is warped at that point? Can you see the ends of the frets sticking up a little from the fretboard?

TO be honest Henning I still haven't got a clear answer from you as to exactly what the problem is and I'm still guessing.

Well, is it just the fret that's warped or is it the fretboard that is warped at that point? Can you see the ends of the frets sticking up a little from the fretboard?

TO be honest Henning I still haven't got a clear answer from you as to exactly what the problem is and I'm still guessing.

Me too. The photo that Henning has included is tiny upon clicking it and with poor lighting and does not show much detail and is more just a side profile of the fretboard.

Lack of playtime as per Henning's description does not indicate anything at all to me.

I agree there seems to be a vocabulary problem in describing the issue, and I am at a total loss as to what the problem is, and also how to remedy it, since I dont understand it.

Maybe the problem is me?

I'm just not 'getting it'...and maybe my eyes are bad?

I'm guessing that the frets are popping up in the middle of the fretboard. Probably due to low humidity. Try humidifying the uke and then gently tapping the frets back down flush with the fretboard.

Or perhaps there's a slight concavity across the width of the fretboard? I never make a fretboard perfectly flat across it's width. I give it a touch of camber even on non cambered fretboards if you know what I mean. It's just enough to prevent the fretboard ever becoming concave - which you certainly do not want if you play any barre chords. Then again the OP could be referring to something completely different.

I'm guessing that the frets are popping up in the middle of the fretboard. Probably due to low humidity. Try humidifying the uke and then gently tapping the frets back down flush with the fretboard.

Thanks for your responses!
Normally when you make a fretboard you give it a slight convex touch in parallell with the frets, this is most obvious in Western guitars, but also Classic guitars might have it. Here the frets are popping in to the fretboard. I have been humidifying it since I got it last Thursday. I also pressed in ´the most popping fret´. I tried the fretboard with a straight edge but couldn´t find any wiggling. I am tired about this matter as well as in a whole by now. cheers!

Top Bottom