Rich sounding Tenor for under $300 Canadian?

larabie23

Reaction score
UAS has kicked in again-looking for a rich sounding tenor for under $300.

I have the Kala thinline and the Kala KA-TG mahogany gloss (which has a low G). I like the sound of the low g for a handful of songs, and I like the sound of the cedar top on the thinline but am looking for a richer tone (with high G) like the lovely Islander Koa (soprano) that I have an the concert Islander salted maple.

So....for tenors I’m eyeing the Kala ebony, the Luna Koa, (higher than my price range though) and possibly the Islander Koa AT-4. I worry the neck is too thick for a tenor but I love the sound of Koa.

I wonder if the Ebony would be my best option ? It’s hard deciding from select video clips online and I am not close to any instrument store. Also, Canadian suppliers would be my preference due to additional import charges that come with buying from US.

I also came across some awesome sounding resonators such as the Kala Archback resonator, but that for now, is out of my budget range :( (Unless someone wants to part with theirs, which I highly doubt as it sounds outstanding!),

Also on the radar are the Kala Ka-BFT Bocote, and the Leho Mahogany Arch back.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
I'd suggest you look at Mainland solid ukes for the price range you have set. I believe that all the ukes you mention are all laminate and won't sound much different from each other.

I recommend a Pono Tenor with a solid top ... post something here ... someone will be willing to sell you one of theirs.

I'd suggest you look at Mainland solid ukes for the price range you have set. I believe that all the ukes you mention are all laminate and won't sound much different from each other.

This. Yes, I'd suggest looking at Mainland solid ukes.

Or all solid Ohana. Mainland and Ohana are pretty much the same....construction wise.

You say you own a Islander koa soprano that has the "rich" sound you love. Seems to me the same model in tenor size would fit the bill perfectly. When you have a specific sound in your head that you love it is hard to find that just anywhere. That being said the suggestion for Mainland in a solid mahogany is a great choice.

You say you own a Islander koa soprano that has the "rich" sound you love. Seems to me the same model in tenor size would fit the bill perfectly. When you have a specific sound in your head that you love it is hard to find that just anywhere. That being said the suggestion for Mainland in a solid mahogany is a great choice.

You know, I’ve been thinking of that as well. As a former guitar player I find the soprano challenging sometimes and I have several concert sized already so as of now, I am leaning towards the tenor version of the soprano that I already have. The wider neck would be a welcome change to the two Kala tenors that I have.

Another option (in addition to the great suggestions already posted) would be a KPK.

I decided to get the Islander AT-4 tenor. I love the sound of the soprano version and the fact that the tenor body is a bit smaller than the average sized tenor was also a draw, as was the wider neck that I find helpful for some chords.

The ebony and bocote both look lovely but the sound is more important than looks ;-). The Islander has a nice satin finish that feels smooth and comfortable to play too :)

Top Bottom