Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: foldable travel uke kickstarter

The sound playing it acoustically is pretty poor. It may have value for use with headphones and find a niche.

Hi John, yes you are right normaly the ukulele is already a travel instrument, but we made it pocketale, another way to travel it, more easier.
    In the video the young guy, used her headphones, not to isolate themself, but because he is playing the electronic version, and normaly is to easier have to you a headphones, that can use for your phone, tablet, or similar device.
    If you want to share the music with the other peoples in the park, you can use a small portable amplifier, and enjoy your music.

About KLOS i know your solution, but it's not similar, our it's completly another solution not comparable with KLOS system.
    In KLOS for fold your guitar, you need a tool for unscrew and screw again the neck, this take time, and you have the chance to loose some screws.

https://klosguitars.com/products/klo...=8882376376363

In KLOS system you have alway to de tune and tune your guitar every time that you want to fold it.
    In our system you only need your hands to fold and unfold your uku, with out detune and tune again,please take a look at dimostration video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpafk36MiRI

So i'm not here for telling you what's the better solution, but only for tell you that these are both good solution for travel, but not comparable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting. In the video I can see that when folding the saddle position is actuated. It moves forward as the instrument is being bent thus releasing tension on the strings. The process is reversed when unfolding the instrument. So, going out of tune is less likely to happen. Pretty clever.
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele - no name yet

Quote Originally Posted by Peace Train View Post
    I like the concept, especially the headphones while traveling idea. Plus it’s 8 inches shorter than a soprano Risa Stick when folded and only 1.5 ounces heavier. The concerns as already mentioned are sound quality and the ease with which it can be unfolded, tuned, and played, because that’s whats going to make or break it. If you’re going to keep it unfolded all the time because it’s even remotely a hassle to open it and tune, then you might be better off getting something like a Risa that has a decent sound from the start. But if your primary goal is keeping things quiet, then this might be a viable option after all.
    It's really easy to fold, just take a second, and the fantastic thing is that you don't need to detune and tune every time

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    The sound playing it acoustically is pretty poor. It may have value for use with headphones and find a niche.
    The sound in the video is poor, because you are seeing playing a printed 3D ukulele, made with FDM print technology.
    When you use a FDM technology, you are using ABS or PLA material, that inside is porous, and this dosn't trasmit well the sound.
    It's only a concept 3D part for show you our idea.
    The true version will made with techno plastic studied for a good sound, but for made this we need to produce mould and other tools for the production, many expensive to produce a prototype only.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    Interesting. In the video I can see that when folding the saddle position is actuated. It moves forward as the instrument is being bent thus releasing tension on the strings. The process is reversed when unfolding the instrument. So, going out of tune is less likely to happen. Pretty clever.
    Really really thanks you understood perfectly our system.
    It works like you are telling
    Thanks for the clever

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    ...when folding the saddle position is actuated. It moves forward as the instrument is being bent thus releasing tension on the strings. The process is reversed when unfolding the instrument. So, going out of tune is less likely to happen.
    This is your selling feature and should be clearly stated. It still leaves sound quality as an undetermined factor. Not unlike what happened with Outdoor Ukulele, many people will wait for production models before making a decision to purchase.

Very clever, however, I am guessing that your bridge is held in place by a fairly strong spring, against which you are using the 'nylon' strings to pull, to be able to fold it, therefore putting a lot of extra tension on, & likely to stretch them more than on a normal uke, necessitating fairly regular string changes. Good luck with your project.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I would imagine there is some sort of lever inside the Uke that slides the bridge as the neck is being folded, if not as Keith said the strings wouldnt have much longevity if they are solely cranking the bridge along!
    Current Strummers!

Brunswick BU4C Mahogany Concert
    Kala KA-S Soprano
    Ashton UKE280MH Mahogany Tenor(Low G Living Water)
    Luna Tapa Solid Cedar Electro Concert
    Flight TUS35 ABS Travel Soprano
    Plus a plethorah of other Ukes!

Yes there is a patented systems, that when you fold it, you don't tight the strings.

Thread Information