Newbie who needs help changing her strings

ukukatie

Reaction score
Hi! I'm having trouble replacing the strings on my ukulele. It's the les paul electric acoustic uke, and the board that you anchor the strings down to doesn't have holes to put the string through and tie it down. I have no idea what to do, and am getting a little frustrated. I've successfully changed the strings on another regular ukulele, and this one is different. I haven't been able to find a video tutorial for this specific ukulele. help would be much appreciated!

Is it a slotted bridge? If so, this should help:

Is it a slotted bridge? If so, this should help:...

Yes, The Epiphone Les Paul concert uke has a slotted bridge and Barry's vid is one of the best for a tutorial on this. Kudos on that one Jim.

Here is a photo of the Epi LP bridge area:

Epiphone-Les-Paul-Concert-Ukulele-Outfit-HCS.jpg

The intimidating part for beginners, I think, is connecting the strings to the tuning heads. There are a few ways that I have seen it done, and I have my own preferred method (Spolier: I have never had to thread the hole twice, as seen on some “How to” Videos by K Brand companies). I do think a string winder is a good investment...I love my Eddie Ball powered model...but there are 27 ukuleles in my house (none of them are from school).

That said, even a hand-crank style string winder and clipper combo is a good investment for changing strings.

Once attached at the bridge, slot the string through the tuner post twice, always works for me.
You may have a little bit of difficulty with the thickest string, but it will go. :)

Already great instructional replies - just wanted to add a friendly welcome!!

If you replicate the knots on the old strings you cannot really go wrong.

From the pictures I've seen that instrument looks to have a slotted bridge. If that is what it has then you'd simply make an overhand knot (a figure 8 knot would be better) at the very end of each string; those ends up below each string's corresponding slot and the strings get pulled through there slots with the knots anchoring them.

Here's a HOWTO video if I wasn't sufficiently descriptive:

How To Change Slotted Bridge Ukulele Strings

edit: for some reason I only saw the initial post & none of the replies to it :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom