In the Pines - Leadbelly cover on new Kala Baritone.

Flatbaroque

Reaction score
Hi folks.I got a bit of an urge to get a baritone after watching some of the good folks here playing one..pabrizzer, drbrekken, stivo and zoe were some.
Couldn't try one out in Sydney.None to be had.So I ordered a Kala KB-E online.Not very expensive laminate.Just got it on Friday.Whilst not having the complex tones of my solid wood tenor ukes ,,it still had a good fundamental sound.Will have some fun on it.
Here's an old song.With a bit of harp as well.
Cheers.

Epic cover, you sound great!
I'm going to have to try some blues.

Well done! I'd sit in a pub and listen to you all evening:D

Nice job Flatbaroque. That's a great old song.
Lead Belly recorded it at least three times. He sang it as Black Girl, Little Girl and as My Girl.
It became a bluegrass/old time standard after Bill Monroe and The Louvin Brothers recorded it, usually titled In The Pines.
The Carter Family, Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton have recorded country versions.
Nirvana and Long John Baldry both recorded it.
Believe it or not, even Tiny Tim recorded a version of In The Pines.

I played a gig last night with a couple of friends at a local restaurant and we played In The Pines. I played mandolin on our version, but it sounds great on baritone uke.

Last edited:
Cheers Maki.
TobyD..good to pass the pub test..ha!
Jim, thanks for that bit of song background.I think Nirvana called it "where did you sleep last night".Certainly didn't know Tiny Tim had a go at it.I think "In the Pines" is the most poetic title.I tried it in Leadbelly's original key of E but found doing it in G let me get a drone on the first chord playing it 0022.Also makes for some good hammer on opportunities.
Cameron.Thanks Brother Oz.Yea hard surfaced room has some nice natural reverb.

edit...hey Jim I just listened to Tiny Tim's version.Its really good.True to the spirit of the song in every way.Who would've thought!

Last edited:
Really beautiful and intense rendition Flatbaroque, it was a pleasure to watch at your video once more.
And the baritone seems to fit you well :) I begin to work on some new songs on baritone too, it's nice to change some habits.
And by the way, thanks for your kind words on my last videos (the Rembrandt thing really touched me), that was nice to read.
Looking forward for your new video. You said you were working on another Chet's song? Will we hear/see this one soon?

Second everything Stivo said! Where's Chet? :D Wonderful work here. Such a great song and love the atmosphere you've brought to it. Loving the scraggled voice.

Top Bottom