Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review: Kala SLNG longneck soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    I think you probably made a good call on the wound low G. I have an unwound (Savarez?) low g on my KPK long neck soprano and it works but that is a bit longer scale (same as your Fluke, incidentally).
    Forgot to reply to this bit. I'm not sure if the Fluke is longer scale. They seem very close. I'll post a photo in a minute. The unwound low G doesn't work great for me on my Fluke either, a little floppy, but as it is a plastic fretboard, I don't have the wound option like I do with the SLNG. If it works on your KPK then your scale might indeed be longer. My Fluke is very old though and there may have been design change.

Edit: Photo: https://ibb.co/mgHdj7
    The Fluke's neck is longer but the bridge position is higher than on the SLNG. When I align them starting from the string ties, the scales are roughly the same.
    Last edited by jzzlvr; 04-15-2018 at 03:43 AM.

Had one a while back but ended up selling it to a buddy who wanted to start on uke. I liked it. For those who have played/owned the SLNG and the spruce top SSLNG version, how would you compare the sound of those two? I look occasionally, but have never seen a used SSLNG for sale, so I assume there's not as many around, or folks just don't sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    For those who have played/owned the SLNG and the spruce top SSLNG version, how would you compare the sound of those two?
    I don't have first hand experience, but Mim posted a great comparison video: https://youtu.be/YToJZJpa8-c

My impression based on this video is that the SSLNG sounds a little more forward. I think my string change helped bring out the SLNG more, but the solid spruce top sounds like it would be a worthy upgrade. I would have considered it had it not been for our extreme weather. (We're having horrible weather in Toronto since yesterday, snowing and freezing rain in April!)

The SSLNG was introduced later, probably explains why there are more SLNGs floating around.

I've got a feeling that anyone who bought a spruce top did so fully knowing that they liked the sound, & aren't likely to be parting with it any time soon.

Not many of the koa version have come up for sale either.

P.S. I also have Ohana solid mahogany long necks.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I've got a feeling that anyone who bought a spruce top did so fully knowing that they liked the sound, & aren't likely to be parting with it any time soon.
    That is true.

Not many of the koa version have come up for sale either.
    I'm not sure about the koa version. It is the most expensive out of the three, at a price range that I wouldn't consider for a beater, but it's all laminate. Would it be an upgrade over the solid spruce top sound-wise (or mahogany for that matter)? Or just mostly looks and the fact that it's koa?

P.S. I also have Ohana solid mahogany long necks.
    Both concert and tenor scales? Which one do you like more?

Got one featuring on Got A Ukulele reviews in a few weeks!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Got one featuring on Got A Ukulele reviews in a few weeks!
    Looking forward to it! Before I bought the uke I did check your site and was sad it said "coming soon" for this model.

Quote Originally Posted by jzzlvr View Post
    ..........Both concert and tenor scales? Which one do you like more?
    Yep, SK30M & SK30L, I'm more into tenor scale nowadays, mainly my two long neck concerts, but grab the SK30L for a quick run through a tune, just like I did when my preferred scale was concert & I used to grab the SLNG first.

(It'll be interesting to hear what Baz makes of them.)

Yep, SK30M & SK30L, I'm more into tenor scale nowadays, mainly my two long neck concerts, but grab the SK30L for a quick run through a tune, just like I did when my preferred scale was concert & I used to grab the SLNG first.
    How would you compare the sound of the SK30L against the SK30M or the SLNG? Or against a standard body tenor? I was quite intrigued by the (disproportionate) tenor neck on soprano body, I think it's pretty cool, but the all-solid body wasn't what I was looking for. Maybe for the next time UAS strikes...

Hmm, that's a difficult one.

I like the tone of the solid mahogany more than the laminate SLNG, both solids have more sustain too, & they are quite loud in comparison, but with a depth to the tone.

None of the long neck sopranos compare to a tenor because of the smaller bodies, my two long neck concerts don't have the depth of tone of a comparative tenor either, but have more sustain & a bit more depth to the tone than a standard concert.

All subjective, of course, as I prefer the deeper more mellow tones in general, the fact that I prefer concert & tenor scales, & that's why I don't have any normal sopranos.
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 04-16-2018 at 04:41 AM.

Thread Information