Season 322 Ukuleles ARE allowed in Bluegrass (one week only)

All time classic fiddle tune here. If you see a Bluegrass band, and they have a fiddle, your chances of hearing this song are very high. Tried it on my dulcimer.

Hey Trent, that was cool. It also works great on harmonica. One of the few tunes I play cross harp. If I get time, I'll have to bring it later this week.

:bowdown: :rock:

Hey! He's playing clawhammer banjo, not bluegrass style! call the Old-Time Police!

(One time, after being told at an Old-Time Jam that ukuleles didn't belong in Old-Time Music, someone noticed that I'd been playing a banjo-uke with them for over 90 minutes, and no one had noticed!)

Got a little cold from the wee ones (been hanging out at preschool) so this may not be my opus, but I wanted to do anothe union station song this week because the album has been on my mind. Every Time You say Goodbye.

Nice Dulcimer Trent- love them. Built dad one a few years back that he likes to monkey around on. Really fun instruments.

Killed two birds with one stone here! Did a Bluegrass song I've been wanting to do for a long time, and tried out my new uke! I figured since I was giving a Bonanza away this week, might as well get one for myself too! This is a Mint retro cutaway tenor, with a maple bridge and a corian fretboard.

I enjoyed that!

Hey! He's playing clawhammer banjo, not bluegrass style! call the Old-Time Police!

(One time, after being told at an Old-Time Jam that ukuleles didn't belong in Old-Time Music, someone noticed that I'd been playing a banjo-uke with them for over 90 minutes, and no one had noticed!)
lol!!

ooooooooooooooooooooooooh! :rock:

ok

trent : oh no what's she gonna do NOW??????? :uhoh:

well i saw "cotton eyed joe" on your bluegrass list, as being a bill munroe song, and i thought can that be the rednex song that was in the charts for like about 300 years, back in the day, and the answer is yes and no, and kind of! the chorus is pretty much the same, they just had some fun with the verses!

so

here ya go

cotton eye joe (rednex version)

I'm still trying to get my head around what is and isn't bluegrass. I have a feeling this may be skirting the line (although it is quite modern). Am I right or am I way off base? (By the way, I'm not thinking about covering this.)

Been dealing with Asthma the last 10 days, but I'm happy to be able to get my hacking under control long enough to submit at least one song this week Trent. No lack of Ideas that's for sure. Thanks for hosting and sorry you've had to spend more time explaining bluegrass than playing bluegrass :)

Shady Grove has been performed by so many bluegrass artists over the years . . .

Last edited:
I'm still trying to get my head around what is and isn't bluegrass. I have a feeling this may be skirting the line (although it is quite modern). Am I right or am I way off base? (By the way, I'm not thinking about covering this.)

The banjo playing is of the bluegrass style, the rest of it no.

Been dealing with Asthma the last 10 days, but I'm happy to be able to get my hacking under control long enough to submit at least one song this week Trent. No lack of Ideas that's for sure. Thanks for hosting and sorry you've had to spend more time explaining bluegrass than playing bluegrass :)

Shady Grove has been performed by so many bluegrass artists over the years . . .

Thanks Kevin, hope you feel better soon! I knew going into this week there would be some explaining what Bluegrass is. It's a foreign concept in some parts of the world. I do feel like we're making at least some progress though, and people are having fun and trying, so I'm enjoying seeing that process here this week.

Thanks. With that info, I think I'm starting to get a feel for what to look for.

Now, I just need to remember to host a trip hop season as payback ;)

I may deserve such a payback. lol I did chuckle soon as I clicked on the video and saw a full drum kit. I thought, ohhhh young Robin really does not get the concept of Bluegrass. lol Usually no drums in it, though there are some exceptions, but in traditional Bluegrass, the bass is playing essentially what would be the "kick drum" part, and the mandolin is playing the "snare drum". There are syncopated mandolin chords, called "chop chords", they don't ring out, the idea is to get that "boom chick" percussive sound between the bass and mandolin, which serves to keep the band in time.

I may deserve such a payback. lol I did chuckle soon as I clicked on the video and saw a full drum kit. I thought, ohhhh young Robin really does not get the concept of Bluegrass. lol Usually no drums in it, though there are some exceptions, but in traditional Bluegrass, the bass is playing essentially what would be the "kick drum" part, and the mandolin is playing the "snare drum". There are syncopated mandolin chords, called "chop chords", they don't ring out, the idea is to get that "boom chick" percussive sound between the bass and mandolin, which serves to keep the band in time.

Ah. Yep. I didn't get that. Thanks again.

Ahoy everybody.
Here is my 3rd attempt at sounding bluegrassy.
I saw that Cold Cold Heart with Hank Williams was on a few bluegrass song lists so that is what I tried today.

I've known this song a long time as a traditional song from the Appalachians but I noticed it featured in the list in the OP and It's been sitting with my trad songs waiting for a suitable time to bring it.

I had two goes using different techniques and chose this one. The accompaniment is really more folk than bluegrass but I pitched the vocal a tone higher than in the other one I did which was accompanied by my 6 string strummed. I'll maybe work the other one up and put it on the Island.

FWIW here is Fair and Tender Ladies.

Top Bottom