Season 322 Ukuleles ARE allowed in Bluegrass (one week only)

My searches led me to a thing called Indiegrass which led me to this beauty of a song. Not sure if Trent would let it in though.

I think this is pretty cool really, and has elements of Bluegrass in it, but it's not a Bluegrass song in this recording to my ears.

ough as dogs and meant to be. Trying to capture the spirit of impromptu jamming and improvving . Plus nearly all my stuff is as rough as dogs ...

So these two songs I'm posting aren't bluegrass songs in the strictest sense. That is, they aren't traditional songs, but rather approximations of bluegrass by non-bluegrass bands. I hope they suffice. Both already in my repertoire, albeit a bit rusty. Both are also quite dark in theme, and my buddy Chris always shakes his head at the incongruity of me playing such dark matter on the such a happy little axe as a uke, but we got range, right?

This one is "Calendar Days" by a really fantastic cow-punk band out of the Cincinnati area called the Ass Ponys. If you don't know them, you should. This is form their album Lohio.

Here's number two, an up-tempo but sad little number by Connecticut's otherwise jangly 80s college rock cult favorites Miracle Legion.

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/aUQKkFytNzk
oh

my

GOODNESS!!!!!!

:bowdown:

thank you so, so much, alan! that was wonderful!!!!!!!! you somehow magically turned that song into bluegrass gold! :cool: :cheers:

my 7th vid of the week - i didn't post them all here on the thread, because they were so far from bluegrass, and and even those that i did post here, didn't exactly cut the mustard! however, one more try, and, again, to cover myself, it has (blue)grass in the title ;)

homemade song, "oh my baby left me 'cos i couldn't play bluegrass"

Without any ado, and as kind of requested by Andy earlier in the week, here's an Englishman playing an Australian song as inspired by a bunch of Finns trying to make it sound American

one of my favourite songs fullstop.
i first heard this maybe 20 years ago on a children's rekkid that Pete Seeger recorded on Folkways in the 1950s,
then only a year or two back found out that Jerry Garcia (and others) had recorded it too.
i think it's a traditional tune, but not certain.
there's ukulele, bass and mandolin and some synthetic kit. (sorry for the drum faux pas, couldn't resist, it was crying for it) :p
joo made the drawings and stop motion animation segments for the video.
she's recently created a new website for her beautiful art that you can visit here:
https://www.siajoohiang.com/
hope you enjoy the song everyone.

chriscross did a super instrumental version of this.
this one, another version with the lyrics
ukuleles, mandolin and bass, and some more of joo's gorgeous paintings for colour.

Is this the first Jim Lauderdale bluegrass song of the week? (I may have missed one or two. Still catching up.)

The official video for this one is pretty darned funny. I decided to air out the car studio for the spring.

Here is Berni's original "It's True"
Thanks Berni. This is a fun one :)

I love the harmony! now I want to know how you did it. That made my day :)

one of my favourite songs fullstop.
i first heard this maybe 20 years ago on a children's rekkid that Pete Seeger recorded on Folkways in the 1950s,
then only a year or two back found out that Jerry Garcia (and others) had recorded it too.
i think it's a traditional tune, but not certain.
there's ukulele, bass and mandolin and some synthetic kit. (sorry for the drum faux pas, couldn't resist, it was crying for it) :p
joo made the drawings and stop motion animation segments for the video.
she's recently created a new website for her beautiful art that you can visit here:
https://www.siajoohiang.com/
hope you enjoy the song everyone.

I don't know how the Seasons work -- I'm a newbie here. But can I just say this is great! Wow. -Kevin

I first heard Man of Constant Sorrow sung by Peter, Paul and Mary and their version was a million miles away from the Soggy Bottom Boys. My version owes more to PPM and Bob Dylan than the Soggy Bottom Boys. A more lyrical style than the fast paced bluegrass treatment. It's the Folky in me coming out, I reckon. Anyway here is my version of this song with its lovely modal melody.

The photos were taken when we were on holiday in Austria. The first three from the train on the Semmering route between Vienna and Villach and the final one on a boat on Danube on the way back from a day trip to Bratislava.

Last edited:

That's right folks! For one week only, Ukuleles ARE allowed in Bluegrass! If you want to see how I pulled this off, you'll have to watch the video.

This is my favorite video. I think your convo with Bill Monroe takes the cake and should earn you the prize :) I don't even like Bluegrass but you have inspired me to find those songs and play them, and even ruin them in as many ways as I can. Breaking All the Rules. After all we have permission for one week only. I will do my best to make a video and submit because I have been i so inspired by you and BM. Great idea! And then all these videos should be posted on some Bluegrass forum. Let the haters fume as we have fun.

This is an original bluegrass song that I wrote yesterday.
I rarely write originals. This was so fun!
It's my sixth song this week.
Hope you like it :)

One of the things I think is fun about bluegrass is that one song might borrow from another or tie in something familiar from another song. I have borrowed on my last verse for a bit of fun.

I wanted to do a Jimmy Martin song this week, so here's one. I love the 'tude this song has.

Top Bottom