Season 322 Ukuleles ARE allowed in Bluegrass (one week only)

This tune was actually my first choice when I saw the Season was Bluegrass and I was a little disappointed when Harry & Harry beat me to it. He encouraged me to go ahead and post my version anyway, so I am. Long ago, I used to play with a group who performed for Civil War reenactors and I learned this song then. There seem to be remarkably few professional recordings of it which is sad because it is such a fun tune. Anyway, I'm sticking with my banjo and have multi tracked the bass and harmony. Here's my rendition of Dooley.

Greetings,

It's one of the few I know that sound good on the banjolele and I wanted to bring this song to the mix with a gentle pull string effect.

Ciao

I got two lined up for you this week. A Berni Original in a Bluegrass style (I hear fiddle and mandolin solos in my head that I am incapable of playing :) ). Then - Gasp - Berni will do a cover for #2.

It will be a classic from the "Bill Monroe and His Bluegrass Boys" album on Columbia. The most played record on our turntable as a kid.

Meanwhile here is my "It's True! - Hope you like it. It is more in the Pabrizzer mould than my usual rambles. i.e It's short, to the point and with some repeated lines.

a very little paoriginoodle from our motel room in the Hunter Valley NSW.
We went ballooning yesterday and survived. Hope to do a vid with some pictures in the next few days.

Last edited:
One great thing about Bluegrass is the jams and the improvised breakdowns. Here's an attempt .

Yeah great prize awesome theme, watched this trying to get ideas other than the standard Bill Monroe songs... I'm out. lol

Here's one for Bill Monroe and His Bluegrass Boys.

I spent a good part of the day on this one and it was so worth it.
It brought back so many fun memories of Mom, Laurie and I doing this one years ago.
I love this theme.

Another Bluegrass link

Here is a link to songs listed under bluegrass with chords and lyrics all ready for anyone willing or struggling with finding something.
There are literally hundreds of songs already worked out for you.
http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/bluegrass-lyrics-chords/bluegrass-lyrics-chords.html

Edit: I would say that not all of them are true bluegrass but anything can be turned into bluegrass.

Listen to this!

Last edited:
This was on a Dillards album I purchased back in the early 90s

Was super amused when I saw this theme as I had read how you love the Bakersfield sound. I do as well and laughed as my favorite Bliegrass record (in fact one of my favorite records of all time) is more closely tied to Bakersfield than Kentucky. Anyway- another really cool night with dad when he took me to meet Jaydee Mannis (who is the pedal steel on the Byrds “You ain’t Goin Nowhere” and a lot of the Sweethearts of the Rodeo record...huge night. I have always loved that record.
He was playing with the Desert Rose Band (as he did) and I had remembered their records from my childhood...knew the names, but had been too mired in pink rock and reggae to notice. Anyway- I quickly realized I was a huge Herb Pedersen fan (also met him and Hillman that night- acted less like a fool than I did meeting Jaydee) so I got home and immediately got a great deal of his output coming in the mail, the best of which was a record made when I was a year old. It is one of the best I have ever heard.
Old and in the Way- I ain’t Broke But I’m Badly Bent, with a bad head cold.

I can’t follow any of that, but here goes. I know this best as a Johnny Cash song, though I imagine it has been covered by many others. It was on your list Trent, so I guess it qualifies...

Also, since were posting bluegrass versions of stuff that isn’t bluegrass, you’ve all heard of Steve’n’Seagulls, right?

Maybe disqualified because of the drums. I like this one because I have a soft spot for AC/DC, but they have some other stuff up on YT that’s just banjo and upright bass.

Also, since were posting bluegrass versions of stuff that isn’t bluegrass, you’ve all heard of Steve’n’Seagulls, right?

I think a bit like my Wayfaring Stranger it's more blues than bluegrass but I put a twang in my voice so it counts right?

Top Bottom