Season 322 Ukuleles ARE allowed in Bluegrass (one week only)

Only just spotted this one at No100 on that big list of songs, so I'll give it a go.

Angel Band

I have done this song a couple of times before. Once with Marc Chagall
paintings
and the other time with footage from the 1940 World fair

So many women dancing with each other in that slow-mo jitterbug sequence. I was captivated by the eyes and the hand movements of the two women dancing. The way she presses her hand into the small of the other woman's back while the other hand swings loosely at her side. Her eyes open and close and she seems to be scanning the crowd for someone she has lost.

I liked her movements and looks so much that I had to make her dance in reverse so I could observe her once again. She looked so lost and in need of comfort.

This is the simplest I have ever done it.

I've wanted to do this one for a long time, so here goes. There seem to be mixed views about harmonica among the Bluegrass purists, but to hell with the purists, harmonica works really well with the traditional Bluegrass lineup, so why not? I also think it goes well with Ukulele. My strumming got a bit erratic in places, unfortunately but...

Hi, Trent! There is just the remotest possibility that this might qualify as a Bluegrass song. Anyway, it was fun to do and there is a predatory chicken involved. (There is, of course, absolutely no way that I can identify with any of the lyrics in this song!) And, no, your strumming is fine, Geoff ... it's mine that's erratic!

Last edited:
Also, since were posting bluegrass versions of stuff that isn’t bluegrass, you’ve all heard of Steve’n’Seagulls, right?

Maybe disqualified because of the drums. I like this one because I have a soft spot for AC/DC, but they have some other stuff up on YT that’s just banjo and upright bass.

That is a Finnish group... no kidding.

This was the first song I ever posted in a Season, and I chickened out for a long time before finally posting stuff online. This is a song by Larry Sparks I dearly love. I haven't even done it here at home since my first recording, so it was way past time to dust this one off and rectify that. This was the perfect week to do so.

Attention all! Just a friendly mid-week reminder that to qualify for the prize this week, a Bonanza Ukulele, in addition to posting Bluegrass songs, you need to comment on at least one other person's video for each song you post.

Howdy folks.
Today I did an experiment.
This is a, hopefully, bluegrass version of the Pearl Jam song Black.
(I don't know why I put up that stange accent but I guess that somewhere in my mind I must have thought it made everything sound more bluegrassy... As a foreigner, I just want to say that I am not trying to make fun of anyone with that 'accent')

Well the weather is cruddy here and so I've found time to do one more video this week. While I'm usually a fan of the more upbeat stuff, I'm also extremely partial to these old waltzes. Many of the classic bluegrass players offered some pretty remarkable instrumental work, so I think this one fits nicely in this weeks theme. I put up the banjo and broke out something with a much more pleasant tone for this one. My computer is playing the accompaniment via Band in a Box. Here is the Canadian Waltz also known as the Ookpik Waltz.

Last edited:
Curly Strings is a band that got an European bluegrass award in 2016, so their songs must be bluegrass. :) Here is my not-very-bluegrassy version of the song "Muu ei loe" (The Rest Doesn't Matter) by Jalmar Vabarna and Aapo Ilves.

The original sounds like this (fiddle, mandolin, guitar, upright bass, plus they can play and sing).

Well the weather is cruddy here and so I've found time to do one more video this week. While I'm usually a fan of the more upbeat stuff, I'm also extremely partial to these old waltzes. Many of the classic bluegrass players offered some pretty remarkable instrumental work, so I think this one fits nicely in this weeks theme. I put up the banjo and broke out something with a much more pleasant tone for this one. My computer is playing the accompaniment via Band in a Box. Here is the Canadian Waltz also known as the Ookpik Waltz.

Really like this one. Where'd you get the music/tabs? What are you playing? I like the tone. Does it have a pickup?

Maybe not technically bluegrass, but a band playing an anvil and spoons gets a thumbs up from me.

Here is another Old Joe Clark.
This song is a bluegrass standard with an estimate of over 100 verses.
Here are just a few!

Last edited:
Really like this one. Where'd you get the music/tabs? What are you playing? I like the tone. Does it have a pickup?

Thank you! I tabbed this myself from music a friend gave me, you can find the tab on my website if you are interested. www.philnominalukulele.com Just click on the tunes tab, songs are listed alphabetically. The instrument is a Moore Bettah, it sounds heavenly, which is why I used it for this recording. No pickup on this one, just recorded with a condenser mic. The inlay on the headstock is my 1955 VW, clever folks will understand my YouTube handle now. The uke was custom built for me by Chuck Moore. :) If you are not familiar with this builder, go check out his website, he is an amazing craftsman and artist. His instruments are highly sought after, each one a beautiful work of playable art, with unequaled tone. I love it and am actually trying to get another one. :)

Top Bottom