Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 322 Ukuleles ARE allowed in Bluegrass (one week only)

Here's a grand old song. Wish I could do clawhammer!

Randy - Harry122

Mixture of styles, Scruggs ,some frailing and some reet proper strumming

Quote Originally Posted by redpaul1 View Post
    I noticed that too. And if you, dear reader, are wondering what Ol' Nickie & I are talking about, take a look at this puff for Wayne Erben's instruction books for banjo: Bluegrass or Clawhammer Banjo - Which is easier to learn?

"Oh, but that's banjo - how do I apply these insights to ukulele?", I hear you cry. Well, like a ukulele, a 5-string banjo has re-entrant tuning. The top, 5th, string on a banjo, is a 'drone' string, never fretted, but just plucked to provide a driving rhythm.

To apply either the frailing (aka clawhammer) or bluegrass technique to ukulele, you need to use the top, 4th, string (g on a gCEA-tuned uke), as the drone string.

Clawhammer rhythm is "bum dit-ty", (bum? pluck any string but 4; dit? strum strings 1,2,3; ty? drone - thumb-pluck 4).

If you want to learn more on clawhammer for uke, there are lots of videos out there explaining how to apply clawhammer banjo technique to ukulele using the 4th string as a drone (though one thing none of them mention, however, is that to play clawhammer uke, your strumming hand has to hit the strings on or about the sound-hole, not over the fretboard).

I don't think there's that many on bluegrass style for uke, so you'll pretty much have to try to modify the banjo tutorials for uke.

Bluegrass rhythm, according to Erbsen, is "thumb-pinch" (thumb? pick a (melody) note; pinch? play strings 1 & 4 together).

If you want to read further, you could do worse than start with What Are Bluegrass & Clawhammer Banjo Styles?.
    Posted this earlier in a hurry. On my way home, it suddenly occurred to me that "thumb-pinch" is of course "dum-ching"! The signature rhythm of my good friends Tim & Jake Smithies, aka "Dead Man's Uke" (ff to 11.31 to see where Tim explains this - or, alternatively, just enjoy the show )

Last edited by redpaul1; 04-15-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: timing
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

All the takes I had to do last Season nearly sapped my will to live. Had to do this in one take regardless. Had a lot of fun futzing around with the recording software, though (Mixcraft 8).
    Flat flip flies straight.

Quote Originally Posted by redpaul1 View Post
    I noticed that too. And if you, dear reader, are wondering what Ol' Nickie & I are talking about, take a look at this puff for Wayne Erben's instruction books for banjo: Bluegrass or Clawhammer Banjo - Which is easier to learn?

"Oh, but that's banjo - how do I apply these insights to ukulele?", I hear you cry. Well, like a ukulele, a 5-string banjo has re-entrant tuning. The top, 5th, string on a banjo, is a 'drone' string, never fretted, but just plucked to provide a driving rhythm.

To apply either the frailing (aka clawhammer) or bluegrass technique to ukulele, you need to use the top, 4th, string (g on a gCEA-tuned uke), as the drone string.

Clawhammer rhythm is "bum dit-ty", (bum? pluck any string but 4; dit? strum strings 1,2,3; ty? drone - thumb-pluck 4).

If you want to learn more on clawhammer for uke, there are lots of videos out there explaining how to apply clawhammer banjo technique to ukulele using the 4th string as a drone (though one thing none of them mention, however, is that to play clawhammer uke, your strumming hand has to hit the strings on or about the sound-hole, not over the fretboard).

I don't think there's that many on bluegrass style for uke, so you'll pretty much have to try to modify the banjo tutorials for uke.

Bluegrass rhythm, according to Erbsen, is "thumb-pinch" (thumb? pick a (melody) note; pinch? play strings 1 & 4 together).

If you want to read further, you could do worse than start with What Are Bluegrass & Clawhammer Banjo Styles?.
    The essential difference in the two styles is the finger picks, some claw hammer players will wear a thumb pick, but almost all BG players will wear finger picks on forefinger and middle finger as well as a thumbpick ,either metal or a hard plastic variety .These are what deliver the biting driving sound ,and the three finger "rolls" are what differentiate between Clawhammer and Bluegrass styles.Also the "vamp" which is essentially plucking the strings rather than rolling them.....you cant strum with picks on.... I think that clawhammer is sometimes more melodic and gentle ,whereas BG is often more driving , I like both

Lynda wrote this cool song today, but she's have issues playing in a Bluegrass style. I think the title of this one totally sounds like a Bluegrass song, so as a demonstration, I did it Bluegrass style, and this isn't only one way it could be done. I chose a waltz pattern for it, but it could be done several other ways and also be Bluegrass.

Last edited by Recovering Bassist; 04-15-2018 at 12:58 PM.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you so much, trent! that has really made my day!
    lynda

Great intro video!

I just want to make one thing clear, however. I do not always use my turn indicators correctly. Often as not, I'll flick the switch for the turn and then forget to switch it back again and I'll then drive half a mile or so with it still blinking. This happens on a motorcycle when you can't hear the click-click of the the blinker.

How to pack a ukulele on a motorcycle...

ukepack.jpg
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

Here's another Flatt & Scruggs classic. Uncle Josh did some killer dobro work on the original. it's now part of the repertoire of Jerry Douglas's traditional bluegrass group The Earls of Leicester (get it? Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt?). I first heard this song when the NPR affiliate in Las Vegas played the version done by Lyle Lovett and The Chieftains on the first Down the Old Plank Road record. As you can imagine, The Chieftains' take is very different from a straight bluegrass song.

Martin C1K KoAlana KCA-010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano <yay!!> Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Lanakai LU-21 baritone Kala KA-EBY-S ebony soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Three finger and some strumming (which you can't do with picks on, which are the essence of Bluegrass style banjo picking ) and my version of FMB....sorry Earl et al.

Thread Information