string question

plunker

Reaction score
Well, the Luna Oasis is all fixed. It is an acoustic guitar with steel strings. Can I put nylon strings on it. Top three I know. Transition is tough from the uke. The guitar is a Luna Oasis Henna Model 02 SPR. I figue it would be hard to go from a classical with nylon strings and put steel strings on it because of the increased tension of the steel strings, but I can't see where going the other way is a problem.

Hi
There would not be a problem using nylon strings on your guitar. There are a few nylon string sets available with ball ends . La Bella Folk is one of the originals . The guitar will have a heavier soundboard and bracing than a guitar built for nylon , how good it sounds will be discovered by you when you try it.

Last edited:
Well done on fixing your guitar Plunker.
You could try out the Silk n' Steel strings, see how they go to your liking. I've never tried them, I have thought about it a few times though, and probably will think about it again, and maybe even try some out for myself one day. I read they are not to everyone's taste, but some say they like them.

There might be (read will be) an issue with the size of the slots in the nut. Because this instrument is designed for steel strings the nut slots will probably be too small to accept nylon strings. As an example a medium gauge high E string in steel is .013" the same high E in nylon is .028" or larger.

As others have said Silk and Steel ( Martin is cheapest) are a light gauge string with low tension. That is worth a try

Last edited:
Top Bottom