Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soprano shopping

Speaking of going beyond your budget, I once played a Pohaku koa soprano owned by UU user Caspet, and I think it is my favourite uke that I have ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    @RafterGirl

Hmm I see two words you mentioned mahogany & soprano, and in all seriousness I would hold out, save a few more pennies and buy a Ken Timms Soprano;

https://www.ebay.com/usr/squarepeg_3000

It might take time, but you could always email and pm Ken...
    If I was gonna buy a soprano, that would be it!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

"Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I have 8 sopranos hanging on my wall including a vintage Martin and a Koaloha.

For the money the Ohana SK-38 gets my vote.

You can find a review on my blog. Great uke and weighs almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    It was sold, now that would of been one to of jumped on...

But as I said before, when you mention mahogany & soprano in the same breath, that pretty much equals Mr. Timms LOL...
    Looking For My Next Uke!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Along with Rubykey, I'm going to suggest something different. Why not look around for a builder in your area? You may well get a hand built uke that you love and have a personal connection with, for the same price as any of the other options, and you could be helping someone in your community establish their business and put food on the table. That's my next step, and I think it's more exciting than just picking an Ohana off the rack--though that's got its own appeal.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Famous FS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    Along with Rubykey, I'm going to suggest something different. Why not look around for a builder in your area? You may well get a hand built uke that you love and have a personal connection with, for the same price as any of the other options, and you could be helping someone in your community establish their business and put food on the table. That's my next step, and I think it's more exciting than just picking an Ohana off the rack--though that's got its own appeal.
    Sadly, there are no ukulele builders in my area. The closest would be the west coast.....California, Washington, Oregon. I don't know if I could get a luthier built soprano for my $500 or less budget??? I could continue saving, and also keep looking for a used soprano. There's a Kanilea in the market place right now that seems like a good fit. Waiting for more details on it's age, and to see what my budget will allow.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    Sadly, there are no ukulele builders in my area. The closest would be the west coast.....California, Washington, Oregon. I don't know if I could get a luthier built soprano for my $500 or less budget??? I could continue saving, and also keep looking for a used soprano. There's a Kanilea in the market place right now that seems like a good fit. Waiting for more details on it's age, and to see what my budget will allow.
    Someone help me on this, but the last time I saw a Timms Uke, I thought it was only like $580-$600 in price?

If you just can't cough up another $100, then check out BlackBear...

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...-by-Black-Bear

Not sure if this is still available, but BlackBear has a lot of respect around here for his sopranos...
    Looking For My Next Uke!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    Someone help me on this, but the last time I saw a Timms Uke, I thought it was only like $580-$600 in price?

If you just can't cough up another $100, then check out BlackBear...

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...-by-Black-Bear

Not sure if this is still available, but BlackBear has a lot of respect around here for his sopranos...
    I haven't seen a Ken Timms for sale lately. I believe they have a wider nut, so that would be a contender. Black Bear ukuleles look great, but they have a narrower 1 3/8 nut. I'm looking for 1 7/16 - 1 1/2.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    Oh well, that kanilea does look great. Black Bear is an option in your price range. Have fun looking!
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Famous FS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Thread Information