How do you price a used Ko'olau?

blodzoom

Reaction score
I've recently admitted to myself that I'm primarily a concert, not a tenor player. I just picked up a killer kanilea concert and I'm tempted to sell my Ko'olau tenor. It's wondeful and beautiful and I enjoy the fact that I own it, but I haven't been playing it much so it feels like a waste.

I have been searching a little and don't really see examples of them coming up. Is it fair to assume that they would be priced similarly to a comparable Kamaka? Would it be a little more due to rarity or less because it's a bit of an oddball?

If anyone has any expertise on this subject and is willing to help me out, I could supply pictures and description.

I've recently admitted to myself that I'm primarily a concert, not a tenor player. I just picked up a killer kanilea concert and I'm tempted to sell my Ko'olau tenor. It's wondeful and beautiful and I enjoy the fact that I own it, but I haven't been playing it much so it feels like a waste.

I have been searching a little and don't really see examples of them coming up. Is it fair to assume that they would be priced similarly to a comparable Kamaka? Would it be a little more due to rarity or less because it's a bit of an oddball?

If anyone has any expertise on this subject and is willing to help me out, I could supply pictures and description.

Being as Koolau are a custom build the "new list" price ranges from $1700 - $4900. It depends on the model ie T100, Deluxe or CS, the woods used and the level of trim. Do you know what the new price was or did you buy it used.

As an example I bought a used Koolau CS for $1900, when new sold for $3200. Depending on condition pricing is usual 25%- 40% below new pricing.

Hope that helps.

Being as Koolau are a custom build the "new list" price ranges from $1700 - $4900. It depends on the model ie T100, Deluxe or CS, the woods used and the level of trim. Do you know what the new price was or did you buy it used.

As an example I bought a used Koolau CS for $1900, when new sold for $3200. Depending on condition pricing is usual 25%- 40% below new pricing.

Hope that helps.

I bought it used. It's a Koa T100. I don't know if the koa was upgraded, or if there's some way to tell by the sticker, if not, it would be surprisingly figured for standard. I've priced it out with options, assuming standard koa (gloss, ebony radiused fret board) and it would be ~$2700 to order it new. It's not in new condition (strum marks, minor blemishes) but it's still beautiful and sounds great.

for reference, this is a picture from when I bought it. It hasn't changed much except for maybe more strum marks that will be hard to photograph anyway.

koolau.jpg

I bought it used. It's a Koa T100. I don't know if the koa was upgraded, or if there's some way to tell by the sticker, if not, it would be surprisingly figured for standard. I've priced it out with options, assuming standard koa (gloss, ebony radiused fret board) and it would be ~$2700 to order it new. It's not in new condition (strum marks, minor blemishes) but it's still beautiful and sounds great.

for reference, this is a picture from when I bought it. It hasn't changed much except for maybe more strum marks that will be hard to photograph anyway.

View attachment 108213

I guess a reasonable price would be 15%-25% below what you paid for it. This can get a bit tricky depending what it cost you compared to new. Then how much wear you put on it and what the general condition was when you received it.

I have bought and sold many ukes here and prices can vary wildly. I have resold ukes I bought used for what I paid for them because I hadngot a great deal on them. Other used ukes I have bought at a reasonable price then discounted 20% when I sold them.

Last edited:
Good job talking me down from one million to just one hundred thousand dollars. Congrats on the purchase!

Haha, I wish!

All jokes aside, they have a great reputation, and apparently well deserved, because I don't see many used ones come for sale. I imagine that means they hold their value well, especially if you are not in a hurry and willing to wait for someone who specifically hoping for a Ko'olau. You have an added edge I think in that even if someone has the cash for a new one, there's a wait time... instant gratification has value to some folks too.

Haha, I wish!

All jokes aside, they have a great reputation, and apparently well deserved, because I don't see many used ones come for sale. I imagine that means they hold their value well, especially if you are not in a hurry and willing to wait for someone who specifically hoping for a Ko'olau. You have an added edge I think in that even if someone has the cash for a new one, there's a wait time... instant gratification has value to some folks too.

True but I don't know how many people with the cash for a new one are going to accept one that's less than perfect and brand new. I think I'm shooting for the market of people who really want one but cost is prohibitive.

I have the added advantage of not really needing to sell. Under a certain price, I'd rather just hold onto it and enjoy the fact that I own it. Maybe one time when I pick it up, it will stick and I'll end up switching back to primarily tenor. Who knows.

What DownUpDave said, pretty much exactly.
You could set an asking price that was what you paid, offer free shipping, and/or state OBO, if you're inclined.
See what the market says, a month of silence speaks loudly.

There are many ways to go about it depending on you and what you want and how motivated you are.
Good luck, it looks like a beauty.

I took it out and played it tonight. I dont know if I can sell it. My wife is going to stab me.

Top Bottom