Resonators

I don't think they make sense unless you are performing or really love the tone (which I don't)

Love my Myrtle Mya Moe concert resonator. It’s not right for every song but when it is, it’s amazing. For the most part I don’t like the banjo ukuleles. But to me I get that bango vibe from the resonator when picking. Wish I could afford the tenor resonator. And wish my picking was way better too. Check out lil Rev if you are thinking about a resonator.

I love resonators! They are great for blues and can make a sound similar to banjoleles. They are also very loud. I want to say resonators were a way to be louder before amps came along. I almost bought a National resonator for my first uke. Glad I didnt because i didnt understand upkeep and how unique the sound was back then.

Mya Moes are so gorgeous too!

I have played TCK's MyaMoe resonator, and love it; I played Stu Fuch's old Beltone and his new Kala, and loved them both. Some that I wasn't fond of were an original Kala and a Recording King that just would never get in tune.

I have loved every National Resophonic I've ever played - I currently have a National Triolian I got from the forum member currently known as Mountain Goat. The biscuit is cut a little too deep for me, so I will be replacing it, and I've already traded the friction tuners for Gotoh UPH tuners.

While I don't use the reso for everything, I certainly could if I felt like it. And when a friend's autistic 7 year old wanted to strum my ukes, I let him use the National - it was the most bullet-proof instrument I have.

-Kurt​

The "guy" listing the four Mya Moe's for sale on FMM is Shawn, who owns Ukulele Friend. His website and The Ukulele Site are where I consume much of my "uke p***". He is a stand-up guy and knows both current and vintage ukes very well.

I have a very unique National Resonator that I bought from HMS (it's this one: https://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-market/national-concert-resonator-ukulele-mint-condition.html). While I love it, I almost never play it. Not because it's not comfortable (it is) or doesn't work well with many types of music (it does), but I simply don't. Maybe the reason why I don't play it more is because mostly I'm focused on finger style and I think resonators really shine their best with strumming. Whenever I think I should sell it so somebody who will play it more can enjoy it, I get it out and realize how unique, fun and cool it is. Then invariably it goes back in the closet for a few more months. Rinse and repeat. ;-)

They have a bit of unique tone and they generally have great volume, which is why the resonator system was originally developed (to compete with brass instruments of the 1920's). They are often associated with blues, bluegrass and country.

Just the look makes me want to play slide on it, if that's even possible on non-metallic strings.

Playing slide IS indeed possible! I do occasionally on my
home made Lunchbox resonator. I built it, using a cone and
cover from another uke that a pal had 'upgraded' to a better
one,and he gave me the originals!
I play blues and rock mainly on my reso, but with practice it
can work on an amazing variety of styles and songs.
There used to be a guy on youtube called 'the dirty johnson'
who played incredible slide ukulele,don't know if he's still around!

In short, resonators
- are louder than a wooden ukulele, and have more sustain than a banjo ukulele.
- have a more metally clang - depending on which system, brand, cone,... it's an acquired taste.
- have a bit of a different string physics thing going on, with strings pressing down on the saddle rather than pulling it up - hence players often use a slightly different wrist angle and often fingerpicks.
- have more factors that can be set up, or can go wrong - saddle height, buzzing cone... never change strings all at once, but one by one, unless you know how to set up without bending the cone.
- absolutely have a wide quality range, from cheap with a cheap sound to expensive with an expensive sound - you can hear the price difference!
- have different systems, aside from brands, which determine the sound: metal or wooden bodies, biscuit or spider cones, brass, steel, fiberglass or 'german silver' bodies.

I've had a gold coloured, steel Chinese one (don't remember the brand, alas), a Beltona fiberglass one, and still have a Dobro/Regal made Montgomery Ward one. They'r every nice, but I do seem to return to wooden ones after a while.

I've been selling unused outdoor gear and stashing away the money for another Uke, the ones that interest me the most are National Resonators and Martin K2's--both classics in their own right,,,,,,I've though about a Risa Les Paul but a National Resonator I don't have to plug in to be loud.......

Willies American Guitars has a couple of Nationals and at least one Martin K2 in stock. I aught to head down there and check them out. One Steel resonator and one Koa resonator.....Could be fun albeit expensive afternoon.....

Last edited:
In short, resonators
- are louder than a wooden ukulele, and have more sustain than a banjo ukulele.
- have a more metally clang - depending on which system, brand, cone,... it's an acquired taste.
- have a bit of a different string physics thing going on, with strings pressing down on the saddle rather than pulling it up - hence players often use a slightly different wrist angle and often fingerpicks.
- have more factors that can be set up, or can go wrong - saddle height, buzzing cone... never change strings all at once, but one by one, unless you know how to set up without bending the cone.
- absolutely have a wide quality range, from cheap with a cheap sound to expensive with an expensive sound - you can hear the price difference!
- have different systems, aside from brands, which determine the sound: metal or wooden bodies, biscuit or spider cones, brass, steel, fiberglass or 'german silver' bodies.

I've had a gold coloured, steel Chinese one (don't remember the brand, alas), a Beltona fiberglass one, and still have a Dobro/Regal made Montgomery Ward one. They'r every nice, but I do seem to return to wooden ones after a while.
Those and, also, they're quite heavy. I picked one up and it feels like lifting a ton.

I own a Kala Resonator and think its pretty darn cool.
They only retail for $300, which is fairly inexpensive.

5 reasons I hang on to it:

1) ITS Loud!! Like 20% louder than most ukes. Its a great uke to take to the beach or festivals or any place one might expect there is going to be alot of noise etc...

2). It's fun playing blues or bluegrass or funk style

3). Chords really sound TIGHT

4) they look really cool

5). It's Nice to have a radically different tone sometime from the usual beautiful chime of a normal uke

I have a Radio King that's all chrome and looks great but I don't play it much.
I also have a homemade resonator (that's my profile picture).
I only play it when I'm playing with an acoustic guitar.
I think they look so much cooler then they sound.

I just last week got a 2005 National Reso-Phonic "Vintage Steel" model concert ukulele. It has an all-steel body, and an ebony fretboard on a mahogany neck with 15 frets to the body. It's really nicely finished and plays great.

I noticed on YouTube that both Del Ray and Bob Brozman tuned their resonator ukes up to D instead of C. After checking with the folks at National to make sure it wouldn't damage the cone, I tried it and that really makes it ring! I've been playing it with fingerpicks and it is super loud, with great tone. Or, you can lighten up and get a very pretty sound. It has a really wide dynamic range. It's my new favorite!

Currently I am fortunate to have 3 reso's
Recording King concert plated brass. Nice for fingerpicking. Swapped out the tuners to Gotoh UPT's
Beltona Songster Tenor, fingerpick and strum, but unless you are really in control, it's loud! Came with Gotoh UPT's
Mya Moe, fingerpick and strum. Swapped out the tuners to Gotoh UPT's
Mya Moe is my go to of the three though!

According to Del Rey, D makes her reso sing, it's a bit dead in normal tuning.

h

Anyone like resonator ukes? I've never played one or seen one in person. What's the attraction? Saw this Mya Moe version over on Flea Market Music, very cool looking uke. In fact, a guy is selling 4 different Mya Moe ukes over there.

View attachment 108201

I see that's still for sale, a month later. I just saw Lil' Rev perform over the weekend, using two Mya Moe resonators. I converted an Enya tenor to a res, and I bought a Gold Tone resonator. I like the sound and the looks.

I love my Beltona. Personally, I quite prefer the reso sound over a banjo uke. Lil Rev is a great place to start to hear some reso uke sounds. Del Ray is another option as well.

Every so often I'm interested in one, and would probably consider a baritone-sized resonator, but as far as I know there are no factory models in this size, just customs.

Top Bottom