Kanilea honu concert

blodzoom

Reaction score
I left kauai without it. Couldn't stop thinking about it so I made my dad go back to scottys and get it for me.

20180416_223555.jpg
20180416_223629.jpg
20180417_115357.jpg
20180417_115514.jpg
20180417_115535.jpg

I'm not great at pictures and my phone is crappy, sorry about that.

So far I like it but I don't think I like the strings. A lot of people say they put living Water on them, so I ordered some. I'll let the aquilas sit for a few days and see if I change my mind.

Last edited:
Congrat's! Welcome to Kanile'a world, Living Water are the right choice...:shaka:

You are very lucky to have such a kind & understanding father :D

While that is true, I probably could have written that better. I'm not a spoiled child who insisted that my daddy buy it for me. I'm a grownup who called and paid for it and had my dad pick it up for me. He also loves ukuleles and I think that he was happy that I decided to buy it.

Funny story though, they got caught in the flooding and had to take a later flight. They had to check out of their hotel and had a whole rainy day to kill. They bought tickets to that new movie with The Rock in it. Tried to go in but the theater wouldn't let him in with the ukulele case. My dad refused to leave it out in the car. He tried to argue that other people had shopping bags that he could fit the ukulele case into but they weren't having it. He ended up getting a refund for the movie.

So yeah, I guess I'm lucky to have such a kind and understanding father.

Congrats, lovely uke! Looks like it has Kailua Beach sand in the position markers. :shaka:

Last edited:
Congrats, lovely uke! Looks like it has Kailua Beach sand in the position markers. :shaka:

That it does. While I love the turtles and the ebony fretboard, I was kind of wishing that it didn't have them because it pushed the price past where I was hoping to go. That's why I left without it but I couldn't get it out of my head, so I ended up buying it.

That it does. While I love the turtles and the ebony fretboard, I was kind of wishing that it didn't have them because it pushed the price past where I was hoping to go. That's why I left without it but I couldn't get it out of my head, so I ended up buying it.

You did the right thing, haha! :cool:

Congratulations that is some spectacular looking koa. No wonder you couldn't get it out of your mind. The same thing has happened to me and Steedy is correct..........you did the right thing. Wood is varied and unique as is the sound of individual ukes, when you find one you love pounce on it or regret it forever

I was at Scottys about a month ago and played all his big K concerts, and also the three six strings he had from each brand. All fantastic ukes and my head was spinning in the end. Yeah I should have grabbed one of those six strings, preferred the Koaloha though the Kanilea was close (I liked the Aquila strings on that). The opportunity to play and compare three big K six-strings was the highlight of my trip due to persistent rain. Congrats on a great uke, play it in good health!

I was at Scottys about a month ago and played all his big K concerts, and also the three six strings he had from each brand. All fantastic ukes and my head was spinning in the end. Yeah I should have grabbed one of those six strings, preferred the Koaloha though the Kanilea was close (I liked the Aquila strings on that). The opportunity to play and compare three big K six-strings was the highlight of my trip due to persistent rain. Congrats on a great uke, play it in good health!

Yeah, the rain bummed us out too but it wasn't so bad. There was always the hot tub at the hotel and we got to see Aldrine at Oasis (highlight of my trip). We also did the mountain tubing (highlight for my 5-year old). We had one really great beach days in poipu and a couple more where it was rainy but we did it anyway.

Last year we were in Oahu and I labored most of the week between a koaloha concert and an Ana Ole. Koalohas seem to give the most immediate gratification because they're so punchy but I tend to like a little more sweetness in the sound so I ended up with the Ana Ole, which warped pretty bad within the first month of being back home. They replaced it, no problem, which was good. It was a bummer not having the exact uke I picked though. Over time I've fallen in love with the replacement and I think it gives the kanilea a run for its money.

The opportunity to play and compare three big K six-strings was the highlight of my trip!
Not to derail the thread, but which 3? Koaloha D-VI? Kanilea GL-6? There's another one?

To OP, very nice. I like turtles on ukes:
kpsZmybm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kpsZmyb.jpg

That's such a lovely uke! You know it's the one for you when you can't get it out of your head.

My Kanilea sounds so sweet with Living Waters. I know Kanilea ships with Nylguts, but I didn't care for them.

Not to derail the thread, but which 3? Koaloha D-VI? Kanilea GL-6? There's another one?

No guitaleles, and I had to look up the names of these ukes as they also included special editions:

KoAloha KTM-06 "Imaikalani", Kamaka HF-36 "Lili'u"100th Anniversary, Kanile'a Islands Deluxe Tenor 6-string ISL-D-T6

The Kamaka was surprisingly hefty feeling, and needed the most effort fretting, and I didn't like the wound low A. The Kanile'a was great and had Aquilas with red low A which was most similar to what I use at home on my low-G Tenor, but I'm not a fan of bling and the Paua inlays on the top were not appealing. So the KoAloha was easiest to play with fluorocarbon strings and had the sweet punchy sound. I ended up buying an old Koaloha concert online after I got home, but I might sell it and save for a KTM-06.

Last edited:
The Kamaka was surprisingly hefty feeling, and needed the most effort fretting, and I didn't like the wound low A.

That's interesting. I have a friend who has that kamaka and I really enjoy playing it when I get a chance. I havent tried the others though.

That's interesting. I have a friend who has that kamaka and I really enjoy playing it when I get a chance. I havent tried the others though.

If I had bought it online and unseen I would have loved it 100% and get used to playing it quickly. It was the experience of comparing them that contributed to my impressions. And I really am not sure how much the different types of strings on each uke contributed to my subjective ranking.

If I had bought it online and unseen I would have loved it 100% and get used to playing it quickly. It was the experience of comparing them that contributed to my impressions. And I really am not sure how much the different types of strings on each uke contributed to my subjective ranking.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I might start seeing its flaws if I played it next to serious competitors.

Top Bottom