Converting cheap ukulele to resonator project

Edspyhill05

Reaction score
This project is getting close to complete. I’m planning the finish phase. It is just plain white laminated wood so i’m thinking of doing a solid black or red finish. I plan to use WaterLox wipe-on tung oil finish (not pure tung oil).

QUESTION: Anyone have any advice and/or links for this refinish? Do I need to go with the standard finish/refinsh practices?

So I’m hoping to avoid any finish that requires wet sanding between coats, etc. I know, I’m lazy. This uke would not benefit from anything beyond a very basic finish.

There are a couple of spots with wood filler showing, the sound hole was plugged, and I’m adding a 5th tuner. I plugged the existing C-string tuner and will have 3 tuners on the left. I didn’t want to do the hidden frictions tuner.

Thanks,

Ed

I'd say don't try black! Even with lots of wet sanding and buffing, every little imperfection in the finish glares at you.

Maybe consider staining/dyeing the body red and then giving it a clear coat of spray lacquer? This would give you a non-uniform appearance, as the grain in the wood would take up the stain differentially, but that means that defects in your spraying will be hidden! And if you don't like it, solid red over the top instead of clear.

Should have added that leather dyes are thought to work well. I can't see why Waterlox on the top wouldn't work, but you never know with finishing, so maybe a coat of shellac in between the dyed wood and the Waterlox.

I'd say don't try black! Even with lots of wet sanding and buffing, every little imperfection in the finish glares at you.

Maybe consider staining/dyeing the body red and then giving it a clear coat of spray lacquer? This would give you a non-uniform appearance, as the grain in the wood would take up the stain differentially, but that means that defects in your spraying will be hidden! And if you don't like it, solid red over the top instead of clear.

ProfChris,

Thank you. I follow your concern about black. That was one of my first ideas. I’ll toss out that idea. I like the red stain/dye idea. That will cover the small anomolies of wood filler, and laminate wood blotching I have 2 small 2 oz waterlox samples of mahogany color tinted finish. I’ll go with that first as a base coat. I might order some red tinted finish. The tinted finish needs top coats added to seal in the color.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Ed

ProfChris,

Thank you. I follow your concern about black. That was one of my first ideas. I’ll toss out that idea. I like the red stain/dye idea. That will cover the small anomolies of wood filler, and laminate wood blotching I have 2 small 2 oz waterlox samples of mahogany color tinted finish. I’ll go with that first as a base coat. I might order some red tinted finish. The tinted finish needs top coats added to seal in the color.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Ed

If you have any offcuts of the body material, do test on those first! Just in case the final effect is really horrid :(

Top Bottom