Which TYPE preamp?

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
The add-on preamp that I want to use on my baritone goes in the soundhole and comes in TWO types: humbucker & coil.

Which type should I get, & why?

By the way, the preamp I am asking about is... ...

HERE

Oh oh... I'm not sure if this item is active or passive. Ergo, I should also ask: will this item work by direct hook-up from uke to amp? Or will I need a stand-alone preamp?

Aloha from Hawaii ��

Last edited:
Yes this is describing single coil or double coil(humbucking) pickups to be used with steel strings. Totally wrong for use with piezo pickups and nylon strings.

Yep - that's a pickup - the pre-amp is a box, either within the ukulele or off board that contains a small amplifier to boost the low signal from the piezo pickups. Not totally necessary if you are plugging direct into an amplifier with the right sort of stage, but for going into something like a desk, pretty helpful. They also give you the ability to shape the tone of the output at the uke end of things.

Like Ramon, I have a K&K pickup on a couple of instrumentsI have. I also added a volume control wheel in the soundhole to regulate the volume between rhythm and lead. I also us a K&K small belt preamp that really boost the signal from the passive K&K.

I recently posted on similar topic here, where the OP was looking for a preamp for a K&K pickup, but my reply holds true for ALL piezo pickups:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...K-amp-K-Big-Spot-pickup&p=2058209#post2058209

A passive piezo pickup requires the use of a preamp for optimal sound.

This is an electrical problem due to impedance mismatch, and correcting the mismatch will significantly improve the sound. This is done with a proper (external) preamp.

I have written about this extensively here on UU in several other threads which you can see by clicking on the FAQ link in my signature below.

Your L.R. Baggs Para DI is handily capable and actually the best possible, and most frequently used option for this. It will be in your best interest to use it, since you already own one, otherwise you will be punishing your audience with a harsh and brittle tone that lacks all bass frequencies below ~400hz, and this cannot be corrected with an equalizer, since the impedance mismatch acts as a high-pass filter, and those frequencies are not able to even be sent to your amplifier, without the use of a proper preamp.

Short answer - Use the Para DI.

If you want the science behind all this, read the links from my FAQ page.

And yes, I agree that the OP linked to a magnetic pickup that will only work with steel strings, which is not appropriate unless your ukulele will also have steel strings, and further the width of those Neomag (and similar) magnetic sound hole pickups will likely be about 2" too long to fit in any ukulele sound hole, even a baritone, without serious modification to either the uke sound hole or the pickup itself.

FYI, from my JUST THE FAQs link in my signature you can read all about my previous comments on piezo pickups, microphones and preamps and educate yourself to spend your money wisely. Otherwise you can expect to be disappointed with your purchase (unless you get lucky) and with a lighter wallet.

I have re-posted this information lots and lots of times in the past 4 years. I am surprised that nobody can find it when searching.

Last edited:
My 5 cents worth. Fishman PRO-AGO-UKE for nylon strings.

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/ag/ag-series-undersaddle-pickup/

This one allows me to adjust it, to reduce the percusivenes of strumming that gets amplified as well. I have a para Digi as well, and it allows you control over your own sound without having to get up, but there is always a battery that you have to keep an eye on.

K&K are good in my opinion, with many options and sound samples to listen to. Have a look at the vimeo.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/accessories/pickup-installation.html

Top Bottom