Recommended pitch for banjolele head

ukulately

Reaction score
I have a sidekick tenor banjolele and wondering at what pitch to tune the head. Any ideas? I've done some searches and come across enough info on how to tune. Most people seem to recommend tightening up the head until it feels right and sounds good but I'm hoping for something a bit more specific.

Possible difference between tuning banjolele vs banjo head

I haven't seen the video, but my understanding is that a banjo should be tuned to about A# so that it doesn't vibrate so much in the key of G, the most common key played on the banjo.

I'd use the same logic with the banjolele head. Since C is the most common key, you might want to go to a D#.

If the video contradicts me, then, well, nevermind!

Check out the drum dial. There is a video about tuning banjos on their website...should apply to banjoleles, too.

It is best not to overthink any kind of banjo! What "note" to tune the head to is a source of frequent discussion among Bluegrass (5 String) players with little agreement, because it comes down to what you want to hear. It really is more about the sound you want from an individual instrument. With the banjolele, if you want a brighter sound, tighten up the head. I like my Banjolele to sound bright, so I tighten the head until I can no longer, or barely, feel the impression of the bridge on the under side of the head. Keep in mind that it is most important to go slowly and consistently as you tighten the head - It must be evenly tightened.

Top Bottom