Any help identifying a 10+ yr old Kala

aggiedude

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm still a newbie at the uke but loving it and think my 55yr old butt found the hobby that's gonna stick with him.....I've got an opportunity to purchase an older Kala (( that I haven't held )) and was hoping that, by a couple photos, y'all could help me decipher a model name/number, if it's solid wood, is it worth the $200 they're asking, etc... And please forgive me if I post the pic wrong or send this to the wrong forum BUT I'm new at this as well so please understand....Thanx a million times over for any and all help !!! It truly is appreciated...

kala ukulele.jpg

kalaukulele2.jpg

kalaukulele3.jpg

Last edited:
I'd spend that money on a new uke. It would probably be a better instrument. And certainly a safer bet.

That doesn't look far different than the current Kala ukes. I agree that puttiing the money to a new one would be better. Kala makes a really good solid cedar top with acacia koa body, red binding and slotted headstock for under $300 that everyone says rivals ukes that are more than twice the price. I have a tenor cutaway version with preamp and I consider it one of my best playing and sounding ukes.

Too expensive for a 10 year old Kala, (in my opinion), though it does look quite like a cedar top.
Like the others though, I think you'd be better off buying a new one, especially as you are quite new to ukes. :)

Hey folks, I'm still a newbie at the uke but loving it and think my 55yr old butt found the hobby that's gonna stick with him.....I've got an opportunity to purchase an older Kala (( that I haven't held )) and was hoping that, by a couple photos, y'all could help me decipher a model name/number, if it's solid wood, is it worth the $200 they're asking, etc... And please forgive me if I post the pic wrong or send this to the wrong forum BUT I'm new at this as well so please understand....Thanx a million times over for any and all help !!! It truly is appreciated...

Kala do make good beginner and intermediate level instruments and as far as I know they always have - it’s hard to go wrong with a Kala. However whether this would be a good instrument for you or not is another matter, my suggestion is to let it go to another buyer and purchase something more likely to suit your current needs.

For what it’s worth Ukes usually have a label inside the body that can be viewed through the sound hole. The label normally gives the make and model, sometimes there’s an indication of its age too.

As a first instrument I would suggest that something like a basic Kala Concert sized Uke (KA-C) would be a good place for you to start your Ukulele journey, and that particular Uke is something that you could happily play for a number of years too. Make certain that whatever you buy has been set-up properly.

Last edited:
Kala do make good beginner and intermediate level instruments and as far as I know they always have - it’s hard to go wrong with a Kala. However whether this would be a good instrument for you or not is another matter, my suggestion is to let it go to another buyer and purchase something more likely to suit your current needs.

For what it’s worth Ukes usually have a label inside the body that can be viewed through the sound hole. The label normally gives the make and model, sometimes there’s an indication of its age too.

As a first instrument I would suggest that something like a basic Kala Concert sized Uke (KA-C) would be a good place for you to start your Ukulele journey, and that particular Uke is something that you could happily play for a number of years too. Make certain that whatever you buy has been set-up properly.

What Graham said. A new, set up from a decent dealer, Kala laminate. The KAs are a very good place to start.
Solid wood tops require thought and care, you don't want to take them everywhere with you the way you can with a cheaper plywood instrument.
For a second, better ukulele, you can spend more for something special.

I agree with the general opinion that for that kind of money you can get a pretty decent new starter ukulele. Nothing wrong with getting a Kala, they make good instruments. I think their quality control is better today than it was even 5 years ago. If you can go to a music store and play a handful of ukuleles to get a feel over which size fits you best. If you can’t buy locally I would contact Mim at Mim’s Ukuleles or Mike at Uke Republic. They can advise you and make sure you get a ukulele that is ready to tune up and play when you get it.

Thank y'all a millon

I agree with the general opinion that for that kind of money you can get a pretty decent new starter ukulele. Nothing wrong with getting a Kala, they make good instruments. I think their quality control is better today than it was even 5 years ago. If you can go to a music store and play a handful of ukuleles to get a feel over which size fits you best. If you can’t buy locally I would contact Mim at Mim’s Ukuleles or Mike at Uke Republic. They can advise you and make sure you get a ukulele that is ready to tune up and play when you get it.

I wasn't really looking for a beginner uke; I've got an Oscar Schmidt OU5, a Bonanza made for me in Minnesota, and a Koaloha KTM...I was just kinda hoping to run into one of those rare deals where someone was asking way too little and maybe getting a deal on it, but it sounds like maybe I should offer them like $50 and just have a nice little Kala on the side to play......But thank y'all sooooooooo much for the help and I did ask if there was any kind of tag or numbers in the sound hole and he said no, so I'll just wait and see if I wanna go look at it and stuff...Appreciate all the advice big time and God bless ya, Marty

Top Bottom