help! electric uke advice

Lisakanon

Reaction score
hi! so I really want to buy an electric uke that I can shred and play metallica on. I want a solid electric concert sized uke and my budget is 400 dollars at most. i would prefer a very cool looking ukulele, but a good quality one, not just a small toy guitar. whuch ukulele should i get? thanks!

Most are tenor scale, though there is also soprano, there used to be a Mahalo steel string 'Surfboard' uke, but I don't know if you will be able to find one. Clearwater/Vorson (about £120) is tenor scale reasonably inexpensive, or else you would be looking at RISA.

(Try the Market Place here to see if anyone is selling, we had a spate of RISA come up a little while back.)

Don't forget that you will need an amp too, maybe a Roland Micro Cube, (about £100), comes with some built in effects.

I have a Clearwater / Vorson and am happy with it. Value for money. Crazy sounds thru an amp.

Find a used RISA LP 432. Check it out on YouTube. Pretty awesome ukulele.

I have a RISA LP tenor. Great instrument and it is my go to uke in the late evenings. I tend to use it with a VOX amplug and headphones or just acoustically to practice scales etc. I can recommend it. Bought mine off ebay for about half price of a new one. It has some battlescars from the previous owner but plays beautifully.

As someone who has owned and sold over 20 electric ukuleles over the years, my biggest advice is to get something good quality from the start.

Out of the cheaper ones, Ammoon and Eleuke are OK value for money.

If you want the real deal, check out electric ukuleles by Risa and Pono.

Also depends if you want nylon string or steel strings. You can shred on either - but steel strings are closer to actual electric guitar than nylon strings.

Top Bottom