Song Help Request matching chords with notes

joopiterandbeyond

Reaction score
If a song uses (only) the notes B C D D# F G G# (a.k.a. B C D Eb F G Ab):

1. What key is that in? The song seems like it would be in a minor key, but I can't find the matching key for those.

2. If another key it works in is Bm (using Bm, Em, F#m), how do I find the corresponding notes? (Updated: I found them by picking off of the chord, but am wondering what the method on paper would be.)

Last edited:
I’m at a loss. The song could be in a mode (treating a different note of a scale as “home” such as the Dorian mode), but I would expect a B-flat (A-sharp) in any key with flats, and F-sharp (G-flat) in any key with sharps
(Both of these would be the first accidental in the series regardless of key—and C would have no sharps or flats). I’m not seeing either in your description, so I do not know what to make of it.

Can you name the song for us?

The song is one I haven't found a notes/tabs/chords for, so I'm doing it by ear. It goes "Oy vey oy vey life's a merry rounding way..." As you can guess from the opener, it has a Jewish sound to it. I'm confident I have the melody right, but am getting stuck on these two pieces, for exactly the reasons you say. It has only the latter 2 of 4 sharps from the key of E, or only the last 2 of 3 in Eb. In my head, it sounds like it wants to be played in a minor key.

Okay, I worked out my notes in key of Bm. Still wondering what the method is to find the corresponding notes from one key to another (and what the key for the first set of notes would be).

Thanks, ubulele!! C minor was a chord that sounded right originally, but for some reason (probably because I didn't want to face playing an Fm hahaha) I didn't explore that further. Testing that key now, in the chord progression I figured out in Bm, it sounds excellent.

I'm going to study your response further. Thanks very much!

Top Bottom