NUD: Takumi TS-3K

Pirate Jim

Reaction score
Some of you in the UK may have spotted this one on ebay last week. I did, quite late on, and was frankly astonished at how low the price was so thought "why not?" I stuck in a bid, won and this week the Takumi landed in my lap.

First off, not had chance for pics yet - recently moved house and have a toddler so not much time on my hands! Will get some up asap. Here's the SUS listing for one to give you an idea, and specs:

https://www.southernukulelestore.co...ed-premium-koa-soprano-ukulele-made-in-japan/

I'm assuming mine originated with those guys as it has the SUS pod case and I've not seen anyone else selling them in the UK.

Onto the main things: holy cow, what sound. I've gravitated towards longer scales recently (in particular my Pono tenor) looking for that better clarity and sustain up the neck. No problem at all for this little beast. I thought my Kala Elite soprano sang higher up but this takes it to a whole new level. I played the Pono tenor and the Takumi back to back for my wife and we couldn't figure out how the Takumi could be louder and clearer all over the neck than a decent tenor. Wow, just wow. It's so responsive it's unreal, responds to the lightest touch, hammer ons and pull offs are a breeze.

I've strung it with high tension Fremont Blacklines (Japanese strings for a Japanese uke) and really like them on it so far.

The build is feather light, perfect finish, perfectly dressed frets. Setup is a touch lower than I'd like at the saddle but I'll either get used to it or raise it. The neck is very slim, which I was worried about coming from the nice and substantial Pono neck, but I'm finding it very comfortable. It's also my first experience with planetary geared tuners - they rock, I like a lot. The koa used is unreal - gorgeous 3D shimmer all over.

I'd have been happy paying full price for this thing, that I got it second hand for so much less is some serious good luck. If you get the chance to play a Takumi I strongly recommend it!

Congrats! I have the same uke in concert and absolutely love it. It's my second Takumi and I've played quite a few others at NAMM the last three years. In my opinion, they are exceptional value at full price and for you to get one at a discount to that, makes it even more exceptional ("exceptional-er" LOL).

Enjoy that beauty!!

Soooooo envious. Congratulations.

That is one exquisite looking ukulele, nothing like the 3D effect of curly koa to keep you mesmerized. By your description to appears to sound as good as it looks. I had a Loprinzi soprano that could kick out sound like a tenor, it's kind of minding blowing. Congratulations it looks like you have found a real gem of a keeper.

Congrats! This is an incredibly beautiful instrument!

Thank you! Pictures...
Edit: Damnit, sideways again!

That's OK, I use a laptop so I can just flip it about to drool at that beautiful uke right ways up!

Thanks all, I love the forum for this type of stuff, no one I know in real life would appreciate this like you do.

The Takumi's are amazing! I've played thus far is a TC-1k (concert) and I have a TT-1k (tenor) on the way.
Their Honduras mahogany models are quite sweet sounding as well, but I do love the sound and look of the Koa.

Top Bottom