What song did you forget you love?

UkeDoxie

Reaction score
I was checking out lead sheets on Pinterest and ran across The Rose by Bette Midler. What a great song! Got me thinking about other songs I really like, but haven’t even thought about playing on my uke.

So what songs have you forgotten about? Maybe I’ll want to check them out too.

"Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel. Not a huge fan but singing it to my bride at my wedding. The chords are rich.

At my age, I have become an expert at forgetting most things! :eek:ld:

If only I could remember what I'm forgetting about?!?!?! :biglaugh:

Great songs come back to me all the time (the shower and the car are prime times) then I absolutely have to figure out an arrangement for ukulele. It gets a bit obsessive - once I get the bug I can't stop.
Lately:
"How Long Has This Been Going On" (Gershwin)
"Ruby, It's You"
"Love Letters in the Sand" and
"I Don't Want To Be Lonely Tonight" (James Taylor)
... and that was just this week!

"'Til There Was You" is a nice song. As I recall, it was sung by Shirley Jones in "The Music Man" movie, and the Beatles also did a great (and more upbeat) version with Paul on the lead vocal. It has definitely stood the test of time!

With the news of Randy Scruggs death this last week, I've been revisiting "Both Sides Now", and thinking it needs to be in regular play rather than something that gets set aside at times. Randy Scruggs did a beautiful version on guitar, but it sounds great on ukulele, too.

What You Won’t Do For Love by Bobby Caldwell. Heard it recently and remember how much I loved it back when it was released. I’m still working out a chord arrangement for uke.

Thank you Campbell!
This is a nice rendition, I’ll give that progression a try. I had been working it out in the original key and came up with Dmaj7, C#7, F#m, B7. I’m still trying to work out some “in between” chords to add some interest. I think some of the chords from this arrangement will fit nicely.

Ditto on "First of May". Jose Feliciano also did a wonderful version of that one on his long ago album entitled "10 to 23".

Being a massive Beatles freak (I know,very devisive in
some areas!) I am constantly amazed at how good most
of my favourite album tracks sound,translated onto ukulele!
I played many of them on guitar,in another life,but not for
many years now; and they sound new and fresh on the uke!

Last week I was listening to a Bryan Tolentino album and heard Kui Lee's "I'll Remember You" -- a tune I had completely forgotten that Bryan had taught me many years ago. I picked up a nearby uke and played most of it from memory. It's been an obsession for the last week. Beautiful tune and great memories.

Thank you all for the stories and the songs!

I'll "second" TopDog's observation about the Beatles tunes. So many of them are such fundamentally solid tunes, that you can do them in the simplest presentation (with just ukulele and voice, for instance) and they come out really nicely that way. I don't "play out" much nowadays, but just this past Friday I took my uke downtown to a tiny little coffee shop here in my home town, and sang and played from noon 'til one o'clock, totally without amplification, and among the songs on the list were "8 Days a Week", "Since I Saw Her Standing There", "When I'm 64", "I Feel Fine", and "Penny Lane". They all worked fine; I think the main thing is, try not to over-play, just keep it simple.

Wow, that is a gorgeous and very well-delivered rendition, Cam! Very cool chord voicings and such tasteful playing! Thank you so much!

Top Bottom