Hello, from GDAE tuner in Hartford, CT

Reaction score
Hello, All.

I am David, and have become obsessed with GDAE tuned ukuleles used for melody playing only, in Irish and other "folk" genres. I have 2 banjo ukes tuned in mandolin range, two regular wooden ukes tuned that way, and a baritone and tenor uke each tuned GDAE, but an octave lower. My goal is to play fast Irish and other tunes, and I don't much care about chords (fingers and brain have never been able to process chords) but really love fast tunes. I would like to learn from any others in this niche, which may be larger than I imagined, if other instrument sites are any indication.

Thanks, and regards,

David

Welcome to the forums, David!! My style of play is just as yours, though I do it on both fifths tuning and Chicago tuning (baritone and tenor guitars tuned DGBE). I play Celtic style tunes - Irish, Scottish, Northumbrian, English - in the same style that you mention. I however use a flatpick, not fingerstyle. Again, welcome!

I love playing Irish Traditional Music on other instruments.
My wife plays on stringed instruments, usually mandolin, but we recently converted a
concert ukulele to 5ths for her. It sounds nice.
Post some videos when you can?

Welcome. Have been fifths-centric for quite a while. Have found (the hard way) is that soprano ukes can do GDAE fairly well and the larger sizes do CGDA very well.

Thanks to all! I will get my courage up to post some clips. The slickest are the Magic Fluke basic Firefly with the Aquila Soprano 5ths strings and the very new Cordoba 24T with the home-made combo of hard tension classical guitar and high Aquila nylon string. I use an iPad, and hope I can send directly from my video "roll" on it? Anybody point me in the right direction? I better search for tips in the forum.

Regards,

David

Thanks to all! I will get my courage up to post some clips. The slickest are the Magic Fluke basic Firefly with the Aquila Soprano 5ths strings and the very new Cordoba 24T with the home-made combo of hard tension classical guitar and high Aquila nylon string. I use an iPad, and hope I can send directly from my video "roll" on it? Anybody point me in the right direction? I better search for tips in the forum.

Regards,

David

To post videos here on UU you can 'embed' them in your posts, but you first need to upload them to YouTube and then use that link when you click on the FILMSTRIP icon (second from right) in the text editor box when making a new post or reply.

I too have been using fifths tunings on about half of my ukes.

I've detailed my own experiences related to this topic previously here on UU.

You can get to those threads by clicking on the FAQ link in my signature below.

Unlike you, I am mostly chording, doing arpeggios and an adapted form of Campanella style, carried over from the GCEA and gCEA uke tuning and techniques (which is carried over from playing classical guitar) for my own compositions.

When I was about 6 yrs old, I had played the violin in school, and until about 2 yrs ago (which was 40+ yrs later), never used any fifths tunings since then until porting them over to ukulele at that time.

Kudos to fellow UU brother SteveZ for helping me get started with 5ths tunings on ukulele. :)

Welcome! I haven't tried that tuning personally but it sounds interesting. :) Searching for banjolele's are kind of what got me started on this ukuventure. Never ended up with one, but happy to have landed here. You will be, too.

Top Bottom